Tutt's Return

vcboy2000

Today's Mid Con Notebook said that the boot comes off today, and he could start practicing by wednesday. It also quoted Smitty saying that Tutt probably wouldn't play next weeks road trip. This means that we could probably see Tutt's return when the Eagles come back to action on Feb 16th vs UMKC at the Mabee.

Just like his exit took some time to adjust, I think it's likely his return to the lineup will too. We should have enough time to work out the kinks and get some momentum before the start of the tournament (when the REAL season begins). It will probably take the team the UMKC and bracket buster games to get back into rythm. A week long session of practices should have them ready to go full force @ Centenary before getting their swagger back against Valpo.

We're at a good place now (winning-wise), but the effects of last year has me wanting a lil adversity with time enough to recover to bring out the focused team that can get it done in the tournament.

Just off the phone with ORUTerry, and we were having the same conversation. The delicate balance that has worked itself out in Tutt's absence will likely be upset somewhat by his return. We'll have to see how both coaches and players handle it, but hopefully Ken's return will have a synergistic effect on the team.

As far as adversity, look no further than next week. I may post more about this later with some other thoughts I have, but I believe that next week may be shaping up to be the most important week of the conference season for us. We'll be taking on both Oakland and IUPUI on the road. We've beaten both at home, can we do it at their places? If we can, and we don't stub our toe the rest of the way, we win the regular season championship.

I would argue that we're playing much better at this point in time than we were when we faced either of these teams at home. We've shown we can play on the road at UMKC; now we need to put it all together and sweep the road trip next week.

But win at home tomorrow night first! Never overlook your next opponent.

If we can continue to play solid ball, there's no way we miss Dancing in March. I think we're already on the roll...adding King Tutt will only strengthen an already strong line-up.

Although I wasn't there last night, judging by ORUTerry's observations, this is the kind of ball we've been expecting from this team for the last ten months. If we can storm into the Mid-Con tourney, there'll be no last-second letdown this year. No way Green et al. let that happen...

Get that Eagle Train rolling and there's no stopping it!

The delicate balance that has worked itself out in Tutt's absence will likely be upset somewhat by his return.

We'll be taking on both Oakland and IUPUI on the road. *

I don't have the advantage of seeing the team play live, but I just can't believe Tutt's return can be anything but positive. These guys have been playing together for a couple of years now; Tutt missing a few weeks and returning isn't as scary as you guys are making it.

Just like the Houston Rockets this year...they are horrendous w/o McGrady (winless when he doesn't play). But when he's healthy and playing, they are SO much better. I'm not comparing Tutt to McGrady, just illustrating how a key player positively affects his team when he returns after a hiatus. I mean, it's not like Tutt's some mid-season new addition to the Eagles...

*I see us smoking Oakland and beating IUPUI by 7-9...

Good points, Texasgrip. Here is my point: prior to his injury Ken was playing 35-40 minutes per game. In his absence others have been getting those minutes. It took several games before we started to really click on offense after Ken's injury. Other guys started to get a better feel for what they needed to do on court and started stepping up.

With Ken coming back there will just need to be some adjustments again, that's all. It will probably mean that we'll be even better than we were before he went out. That's why I said the line that you left out of your quote: "hopefully Ken's return will have a synergistic effect on the team."

Ken's minutes will definitely be down, but that is going to be partly because the guy hasn't moved his foot in a month. After this long with a foot immobilized Tutt just will not physically be able to play 35 minutes in a basketball game. He'll probably come back at 15-20 minutes and slowly gain more time each game. The thing Sutton has to be aware of is that if Riouse starts hittin' threes, don't take him out. When he is hot, there is no stopping him.

The thing Sutton has to be aware of is that if Riouse starts hittin' threes, don't take him out. When he is hot, there is no stopping him.

Same with Moses!

I'll never let Moses trick me into thinking he is good again.

3 3-pointers last night;

w/ 3 reb 2 ast and 0 turnovers in 18 min. Sounds good to me! Pretty much mirrored Riouse, too (11p, 3reb, 1ast, 1 to)

I think Moses' goodness is no trick!

Get your hopes up about Moses being good, and you will be severely disappointed. Give me KT and Bluitt in the back court.

The thing Sutton has to be aware of is that if Riouse starts hittin' threes, don't take him out. When he is hot, there is no stopping him.

It does always seem like he pulls Riouse out when he is hot and is draining some threes. Thing I like about Ehambe is that he has a shot much like Ken Tutt and can pull it off at a moments notice with a guy in his face where Riouse's shot takes time to shoot. I will admit Ehambe has started to look better and I never really liked his play before, but it does seem like he is getting better fenix. But, Riouse and Ehambe have done a great job of filling in for Tutt, getting some of those teams out of their zones. Go Eagles!!!

Both Riouse and Ehambe have improved their defense. Riouse is much quicker this year than last. They are both very confident shooting the ball right now. In fact, I'm not sure I remember Chris ever having a really bad shooting night.

Did you catch the play Chris made in retrieving the offensive rebound and scoring in one motion? Where in the world did that come from? I have never seen him display that kind of leaping ability. His teammates on the bench went wild.

The McGrady analogy doesn't hold up because we have learned how to win BIG without Tutt. If McGrady came back to a team where another starting guard stayed on the floor longer, increased his number of shots, and picked up more points, then when Tracy returned a new dynamic would have to work itself out. The other guard would have to take less shots, or Tracy would have to adjust to a new role as a supplemental scorer that doesn't look score every time down the floor. Ken Tutt averaged over 14 pt a game. It took a lot of shots to get there some nights.

I'm not saying that the return of Tutt will be horrible. I just know how team dynamics work. While it won't be big, there will have to be adjustments. Things will have to be worked out in practice. I agree with the others that Tutt won't come back playing as many minutes as before. More than likely they will ease him in. I do think that as he gets comfortable his minutes will increase. When he was not having to play the point guard position, Tutt was one of the least negligent players on the floor. He played hard defense, didn't commit a lot of turnovers, and could drop it from the arc at any given second. It will be hard for Scott to take him out when he is going.

Did you catch the play Chris made in retrieving the offensive rebound and scoring in one motion? Where in the world did that come from? I have never seen him display that kind of leaping ability. His teammates on the bench went wild.

Yeah, that was insane. If I remember right, he was following his own shot as well. Either way, that was a great play.

Guest Rob Marshall

It typically takes eight weeks for an athlete to heal from an injury like Tutt's; as much as I'd like to see Tutt back on the court, to prematurely bring him back would be foolish. Indiana brought back sophomore DJ White too soon earlier this season from a similar injury. After returning to play in a few games, White re-broke his foot and now will miss the remainder of this season.

Write this down ... The best lessons learned are from mistakes made by others. :idea:

I'm not comparing Tutt to McGrady, just illustrating how a key player positively affects his team when he returns after a hiatus.

vcboy2000, please see my post...

Rarely is there a reasonable comparison between collegiate and professional sports...and this is certainly no exception. I was just looking for an example and the Rockets are close to home. Obviously there will be an adjustment, but like I said, I only see Tutt's return as a positive...no chance we suffer for it!

Only time will tell, but I certainly can't wait to see #1 back out on the court.

vcboy2000, please see my post...

Rarely is there a reasonable comparison between collegiate and professional sports...and this is certainly no exception. I was just looking for an example and the Rockets are close to home. Obviously there will be an adjustment, but like I said, I only see Tutt's return as a positive...no chance we suffer for it!

Texas, your comparison would have been reasonable if ORU went on a losing streak and never recovered until Tutt's return. I understand your analogy wasn't based on talent level. My response to it wasn't either. You said that Houston sucked until McGrady returned. We didn't. Nevertheless, I understand what you are trying to say. It will be great having another bonified offensive weapon on the floor. I love the way KT plays because he shows no fear.