ORU polishes its golden sheen

SOLO_Gold

by Kirby Lee Davis

The Journal Record July 24, 2009

TULSA – More than $12 million in ongoing construction projects is rejuvenating Oral Roberts University.

...In a separate development, the ORU Athletic Department will open a 35,000-square-foot indoor baseball practice facility in September. Contractor on that $1.3 million-plus project is the real-estate arm of Hobby Lobby Stores, the Oklahoma City retail chain owned by Mart’s father, David.

http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=100920

Great story! The Green family has certainly taken on the challenge of righting the ship. When you think they've stopped, you keep hearing of new stuff!

by Kirby Lee Davis

The Journal Record July 24, 2009

TULSA – More than $12 million in ongoing construction projects is rejuvenating Oral Roberts University.

...In a separate development, the ORU Athletic Department will open a 35,000-square-foot indoor baseball practice facility in September. Contractor on that $1.3 million-plus project is the real-estate arm of Hobby Lobby Stores, the Oklahoma City retail chain owned by Mart’s father, David.

http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=100920

The Hobby Lobby real estate group has been a real answer to prayer in helping us get the Indoor Facility up.  That is one of the areas that you can't put into $$$ on how the Green family has helped ORU.  Again, just when you think that the Green family can't do more for ORU, they surprise you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spent the day on campus dropping off ORUBlue12 for his sophomore year.  I am amazed at the amount of construction on campus.  The baseball facility is huge, the lower parking lot has a new tree-lined pedestrian walkway for students in the middle, there are new flowerbeds and landscaping EVERYWHERE, the Fred Creek renovations have ripped up all the grounds just NW of the Mabee Center, and the prayer gardens look like they're preparing for a Motocross championship with dirt everywhere.  Inside, there's new tile, carpet, bedframes and mattresses in Towers, and I haven't yet been to the LRC or AC to see the upgrades there.

With the new freshmen arriving on Friday, there's no way that the campus won't be in chaos for some time - but what a beautiful chaos it is!

Just spent the day on campus dropping off ORUBlue12 for his sophomore year.  I am amazed at the amount of construction on campus.  The baseball facility is huge, the lower parking lot has a new tree-lined pedestrian walkway for students in the middle, there are new flowerbeds and landscaping EVERYWHERE, the Fred Creek renovations have ripped up all the grounds just NW of the Mabee Center, and the prayer gardens look like they're preparing for a Motocross championship with dirt everywhere.  Inside, there's new tile, carpet, bedframes and mattresses in Towers, and I haven't yet been to the LRC or AC to see the upgrades there.

With the new freshmen arriving on Friday, there's no way that the campus won't be in chaos for some time - but what a beautiful chaos it is!

Did you get Blue12 moved in, Blue82?  I'm hoping he's there to help us get Eaglefanatic, along with two of his cousins, moved in on Friday!

renovations in the AC are coming a long fine. We have new tile in the lockerrooms.  The lockers have just recieved a new coat of paint.  The pool has has been drained cracks fixed and painted.  New tile in the hallways and the offices in HPE have new carpet.  The trainers offices are being worked on as we speak.  Come and see the improvements at the AC.

:-D

After my earlier post, I visited the LRC with its newly painted and textured entry steps, and the chapel, with new upholstery for the chairs and a totally updated stage.  I highly recommend a visit to the campus this fall - you will find new surprises around every corner.

Looking forward to seeing the improvements on Friday, as I drop off child #4.  I remember well dropping off #3 two years ago, and spending three hours discussing the future of ORU with a former executive of the school (all before the RR issues) and wondering together if the school would be able to survive and if so, in what form.

It is beyond rational belief that just two years later, the school is virtually out of debt, renovations have been made all over the campus, and a new President has been installed.  We truly serve a great God, who is still in the miracle business!!