Muskogee plays Broken Arrow at BA Tonight

tmh8286

Tonight Muskogee, and their star player and ORU recruit Dominique Gaines, play Broken Arrow at Broken Arrow. If you would like to get a sneak preview of one of the players we have coming in next season, you won't find a better opportunity than tonight.

In their last meeting in Muskogee Broken Arrow won, but Gaines scored 26 with Broken Arrow keying their entire defense on him. I was told that his ability to create his own shot and score with a hand in his face was uncanny.

I'll be at the game tonight, and possibly some others from the board. If you're interested in coming, let me know and I'll make sure we meet up.

Wearing some ORU gear might catch Dominique's eye and provide some encouragement to him.

About 7:30. The time varies; varsity boys' game starts 15 minutes after the end of the varsity girls game, and that is usually around 7:30.

Tonight Muskogee, and their star player and ORU recruit Dominique Gaines, play Broken Arrow at Broken Arrow. If you would like to get a sneak preview of one of the players we have coming in next season, you won't find a better opportunity than tonight.

In their last meeting in Muskogee Broken Arrow won, but Gaines scored 26 with Broken Arrow keying their entire defense on him. I was told that his ability to create his own shot and score with a hand in his face was uncanny.

I'll be at the game tonight, and possibly some others from the board. If you're interested in coming, let me know and I'll make sure we meet up.

Wearing some ORU gear might catch Dominique's eye and provide some encouragement to him.

tmh, I know we talked about going together earlier in Jan. I'm just not going to be able to make it tonight! The wife would really have my neck if I tried to get over to that game tonight... do me a favor and post your best "Recruit Summary" tomorrow about Dominique, will ya'? - ETG

Guest Blevins

Saw Gaines play at Jenks last month... very quick, extremely athletic, capable of creating his own shot on the perimeter ... he's a bit wild on the court but has a chance to be an exciting player ... similar to Markius Barnes but more athletic, though not as long.

Have not seen him play, but the description by Blevins is close to what others have told me. They also say that there is not much else on the Muskogee team so opponents can just concentrate on Gaines.

On the news tonight he looked like he could create shots and will be a promising replacement for JB. Another great job of recruiting by our coaching staff! :)

I went to see Gaines play last night and I have to agree with mom that the coaching staff did a good job with signing this kid. He isn't a natural point guard so I think he would be better suited playing the 2, but he could play point if we needed him to (he brought the ball down court several times for muskogee).

Overall Analyses:

Dominique is a talented guard that can shoot the ball from just about anywhere on the floor, and can also put the ball on the floor and go to the basket. His shot was a lil off last night, but he reminded of Ken Tutt when he was shooting the 3 pointer two feet behind the line. He has developed a patented "tear drop" shot when he drives to the basket that went in almost every time. He seems to have a high basketball IQ on the floor, can sense the double team and knows where to pass the ball.

Strengths: Shooting, Ability to create his own shot, Specialty moves, He plays under double teams all the time and knows how to create for his teamates.

Weakness: He will have to get physically stronger. If he bulks up and adusts well to the more physical D-1 game, he should be a solid contributor for us. The player he reminds me of most is not Markius Barnes, but a more athletic Chris Riouse.

I don't have much to add to vcb's assessment, other than to say that Gaines played injured in the second half. Looked liked he'd tweaked an ankle. He was hobbling when he was walking, but it didn't seem to slow his game down much, and his coach never took him out - he played every minute. I thought late in the game, when it was clear that Muskogee was going to win, the coach should have taken him out and given the ankle a rest, but he didn't.

Broken Arrow didn't play very well, and Muskogee won big. This was a big game for BA in terms of ranking and post-season playoff bracketing, and they were very disappointed to lose. After the Muskogee players players went to mid-court and did the "Who's house? OUR HOUSE!" chant, and that upset the Broken Arrow players and coaches.

I had a chance to talk for quite a while with Cory Williams at the game. You couldn't ask for a nicer, easier to talk to person than Cory. We talked about the other players coming in next year. He said that Adam Liberty is going to be a special player, and that it was too bad he and Larry couldn't have played together. He said that their combined athleticism would have been really fun to watch. I mentioned to him that we'd been keeping up with Shawn King and that he'd been averaging around 23 pts and 14 rebounds; he said in addition to that he's been averaging 6 blocks per game.

I told him I thought next week may be the most important of the season; he agreed. I told him I thought Tutt's injury allowed some of the other players to play more minutes and have a chance to improve; he agreed. We had a very pleasant conversation before I headed back over to the BA side. What a great guy!