SUV Game

8EL3K6

ORU won big tonight, and I think mainly because Southern Utah plays 12 Mormons. Oh, and Eddie Sutton was there, too. Is there anyway we could get him on for every game?

Also, I think it's good to have a player like Yemi on the court all the time, because if he gets double-teamed, that means that there is a shooter better than him wide open. Which is not as much a dig on him as it sounds (he did make 100% of his field goals.

That's all I got.

Didn't know Eddie was at the game. I wonder if he was drooling over any of our long, athletic guys. Probably not. He has a plethora coming in every year. He has got to be proud of Scott though. Hopefuly he'll come around more often.

ORU ? Southern Utah Game Observations:

1. ORU played really aggressive defense and denied SUU open looks for most of the game?. Especially from beyond the 3-point line. SUU can shoot the ball well when left open; Janes was deadly from about 12 feet on the baseline. Our athleticism and quickness ? and depth ? was too much for them. We played man-to-man defense until the final three minutes or so when we switched to what looked like a 2-3 zone. I really like the way we play zone ? as compared to past years when we were very passive. The guys contest the ball out on the perimeter and our long arms help clog the passing lanes. Good to see that we got some additional practice. Defense was the key to this win.

2. Sutton ran all kinds of player combinations. The ?athletic? lineup (Vealy, Ehambe, Owens, Green and Fowlkes) looked really good. Vealy is starting to feel comfortable and not hesitant. He is so fluid and smooth and can play with his back to the basket or face-up & make jump shots. If Chello can gain a bit of weight and strength he will really be a special player. Ehambe is gaining confidence and playing more under control ? he is even playing defense.

3. Green had a good game. The kid gets banged on every game and still keeps a good attitude. He did a decent job of not trying to force things. We ran several sets where he was away from the basket and Owens posted up down low. Green?s rebounds are down because we have other players (Owens, Vealy, Ogunoye, Michalec) crashing the boards hard.

4. Bluitt?s size prevents him from getting the ball into Green down low. It also hinders his ability on the fast break. He did a good job running the offense though with no turnovers. I think Fowlkes does better job driving to the basket and attacking the zone. He is also tall enough to make the entry pass. Meloy did a good job of making the entry pass down low too.

5. Owens continues to disrupt the opposing team with his athleticism. His stat line of 14 points, 10 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 block, 1 steal was only marred by the 4 turnovers and 1 for 3 from the free throw line. Larry provides energy to the team and plays hard on both sides of the court.

6. Ehambe and Rouise have done a good job of providing perimeter scoring in the absence of Tutt. They combined for 5 of 12 from the 3-point line. It will be interesting to see what happens to playing time when Tutt re-enters the lineup. I doubt he goes back to playing 35 minutes per game.

7. The rebounding margin was great (+20) ? especially grabbing 21 offensive rebounds. That is almost more than SUU pulled down in total (24). The guys were really attacking the basket. Vealy was more active than I have seen him previously; not standing around like he has in the past.

8. It is nice to have Mickey?s bulk in the game to counter the other team?s size. Michalec has a tendency to throw errant passes trying to force things. Not sure why we has not shaken this habit.

9. Meloy played well ? it was the ?old? Meloy from last season. He is not fast or athletic, but plays smart and tenacious. Drew seems to be where the ball is and plays with a lot of heart. I guess he is just trying to get his money?s worth since he is paying for his education.

10. The only glaring fault last night was our weak free throw shooting. We shot 14 of 23 (61%) for the game. That has got to improve.

11. Beating SUU by 32 points was a nice win. The best part was the defensive effort in holding down a good shooting team.