New ORU president starts work - Tulsa World (7-2-2009)

ORUTerry

New ORU president starts work

Mark Rutland plans to pursue openness with the outside community.

20090702_Rutland0702p1.jpg

New Oral Roberts University President Mark Rutland hugs Aaron Brannan, an ORU theology student, on Rutland's first day on the job. CORY YOUNG/ Tulsa World 

(excerpt)

By SHANNON MUCHMORE World Staff Writer

Published: 7/2/2009  2:20 AM

Last Modified: 7/2/2009  3:17 AM

The parking lot below Mark Rutland's office could be a metaphor for how the new Oral Roberts University president wants to change the campus: The university is creating parking spaces not only for prospective students but also the public.

Rutland wants ORU to be warm, inviting and transparent.

Wednesday was Rutland's first official day as ORU's third president and the first outside of the founder's family.

A former missionary and pastor who was the president of Southeastern University in Florida, he began his tenure at ORU with a full schedule of meetings.

"You plunge in up to the eyebrows in very serious issues," Rutland said, adding that he was still excited and energized on his first day.

He received a congratulatory phone call Wednesday morning from ORU Board Chairman Mart Green, and the board gave him a tall potted plant.....

Link to Tulsa World Article

• 2 months later...

For those of you who are there, what's going on with the new president and his administration?

I know it's only been an month since school started, but I guess no news is good news, as they say.

:D

Cletus - I would go so far as to say that in this case - "ALL news is good news". The summer renovations have been significant, some key changes have been made to make the campus more "new prospective student friendly", and alliances have been built with both local and national organizations. But, the best opinion source is that of current students. My son LOVED his freshman year at ORU, but when I inquired this past weekend about the first month of his sophomore year, he was even MORE positive about the state of the University. "Last year was great, but this year is totally awesome!", he said. When I asked him what made the difference, he said, "Easy - Dr. Rutland". I think the presence of Dr. Rutland on campus has given students the confidence in knowing that the situation is stable and that the positive changes they have seen in recent months will continue for the forseeable future. The glory days of ORU are still to come!

Yeah, i guess the inauguration will be an opportunity highlight more of the changes for those of us that get to make it.

For those in Tulsa...TheEagleman is just wondering.....Does RR and family still live in their ORU house and where do they telecast their Hour of Healing show from?.... :wasntme:

For those in Tulsa...TheEagleman is just wondering.....Does RR and family still live in their ORU house and where do they telecast their Hour of Healing show from?.... :wasntme:

It is my understanding that the Roberts' still live in Tulsa, but they have moved out of their university-owned home.

I've heard from a couple of sources, but I can't prove that this is true, but my understanding is that they are using the old Scottish Rite Masonic Temple building that sits right by I-44 for their studio now. If someone knows otherwise, I'd like to know, because I've wondered where they were broadcasting from as well.

They have no connection with the university or university facilities at this point.

Eagleman, I was trying to reply to your post, and messed up my reponse - I meant to delete my response, but I deleted your post as well. Sorry about that!

In response to your question, though, I believe that all the law suits have been settled.

Good riddance....TheEagleman hates to say he told you so but I didn't like the guy 35 yrs ago while a student....there was something not right about him.....and LR...well, enough said....what a nightmare!.... :puke:

• 2 weeks later...

I, along with a number of other message board regulars, had an opportunity to attend the inauguration of Dr. Rutland as the third president of ORU today, and it was a wonderful ceremony. Oral Roberts was there, and placed his blessing on Dr. Rutland. Dr. Rutland gave a wonderful inaugural message. I would estimate that there were around 5,000 in attendance, including the students. Among those giving welcome addresses to Dr. Rutland were Kathy Taylor (who declared 9/25/2009 ORU inauguration day) and a taped message from Brad Henry declaring today Mark Rutland day in the state of Oklahoma.

It was truly a memorable day, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to be in attendance.

ORU inaugurates leader

(Includes slide show of the event)

20090926_a1oru0926p1.jpg

"We are attached to an enduring vision. It's the same vision," he said.

Rutland is ORU's third president in 46 years, and the first without the Roberts name.

"Oral is a great visionary man. Our ultimate leader has always been our lord and savior, Jesus Christ," he said. "There will be struggles and opposition, but there is a god of healing grace and miraculous power."

The crowd gave chancellor and university founder Oral Roberts a loud standing ovation when he blessed the new president.

"Dr. Rutland, I'm humbled to lay my hands upon the future leader of Oral Roberts University. You are our third president and are taking the reins of leadership at a perfect time when the future lies ahead," he said. "I see the university growing, multiplying and doing God's work in a very special way."

More . . .

TheEagleman thinks this is a very good thing....the start of a new era at ORU...and a much needed one....God Bless Dr. Rutland!.... :)