Summer reading

tmh8286

I just finished a book loaned to me by a friend that I would recommend to those that might be looking for something to read this summer.  It's called, "The Glory Of Their Times", and was first published back in 1966.  It is a transcription of interviews of some of the earliest stars of baseball - from about 1895 to 1920.  It's gone through several reprints, and used copies are inexpensive and readily available on Amazon.  From Amazon:

"The voices of the game's distant past continue to reverberate with a distinct freshness in Lawrence S. Ritter's The Glory of Their Times. An oral history of the game in the first two decades of the century, Glory sends out its impressive roster of players to tell their own stories, and what stories they tell--the story of their times as well as of their game; the scorecard includes Rube Marquard, Babe Herman, Stan Coveleski, Smoky Joe Wood, and Wahoo Sam Crawford."

The stories are very interesting - there were many I wanted to post, but thought better of - like the time in 1900 when Fred Tenney stole first base - from second - or the autobiographical account of the first unassisted triple play by Bill Wambsganss in the 1920 World Series (a discussion of which was what led my friend to loan me the book in the first place). 

Other great stories abound in "Glory".  I admit, I'd never heard of any of the guys that are featured in the book.  But reading their stories really expanded my appreciation of the history of the game. 

It's a great summer read.

Geez...TheEagleman was thinking of writing a book about his two years in the men's dorm back in the 70's on Youngblood and was going to call it..."The Glory of Their Times"....i guess that shoots that idea....... :-D