2009 Cancun Challenge Field Finalized

Old Titan

Here's a link:  2009 Cancun Challange

As discussed previously, ORU will play at Virginia and Stanford before heading to Cancun, where they will then play two games against (apparently) either Rider, Sam Houston State, or Florida A&M.

It says that the games in Cancun will be on Tues & Wed before Thanksgiving (you could be back for the OU/OSU football game).  Last year I believe they were on Sat & Sun.  AA flights look to be around $500 so you don't want to fly down for just a couple of days.

• The Cancun Challenge announced its bracket for the Nov. 18-25 event, which will feature a possible No. 1 team in Kentucky in John Calipari's Wildcats debut. The other marquee teams in the event are Virginia (new coach Tony Bennett), Cleveland State, coming off the first-round win over Wake Forest in the NCAA tournament and Stanford.

The schedule is as follows:

Nov. 18 -- Oral Roberts at Stanford

Nov. 19 -- Sam Houston at Kentucky, Rider at Virginia, Florida A&M at Cleveland State

Nov. 21 -- Florida A&M at Stanford, Oral Roberts at Virginia Rider at Kentucky, Sam Houston at Cleveland State

The event then moves to Cancun, Mexico on Nov. 24: Kentucky vs. Cleveland State, Virginia vs. Stanford, Florida A&M vs. Rider, Oral Roberts vs. Sam Houston

Nov. 25 -- Kentucky-Cleveland State winner vs. Virginia-Stanford winner, Kentucky-Cleveland State loser vs. Virginia-Stanford loser, Florida A&M-Rider winner vs. Oral Roberts-Sam Houston winner, FAMU-Rider loser vs. Oral Roberts-Sam Houston loser.

Talk about jetlag!  Tulsa to California to Virginia to Cancun - in less than a week!

Talk about jetlag!  Tulsa to California to Virginia to Cancun - in less than a week!

"Join the Eagles - see the world."  8-)

I must admit that I am a bit disppointed in the matchups in Cancun (although the Stanford and UVA games are a big plus).  I was considering spending Thanksgiving in Cancun, but games with Sam Houston and Rider or FAMU don't really grab me.  If we were in the other bracket with UK, it would be another story!

Instead, I think I'll plan on heading to the Bay area for the Stanford game the week before.

The tournament is still a good deal for the team, and having two winnable games in Mexico is probably the best for team morale, but it's not terribly exciting from a fan perspective.

TheEagleman would love to see ORU-Rider up here some day soon....we are just 15 minutes from the Rider U. campus.... :-)