Sullivan Selected in Third Round

Bogus Smith

Congratulations to Sully for his third round selection by the San Diego Padres.  Very deserving young man!  I'll miss seeing him in Vegas Gold and Navy Blue next season, but will enjoy watching him be a pitcher in a major league ballpark some day! 

Irish, you must be a proud papa today (and everyday).  Hope you visit us on the board during the next baseball season at ORU.  Please keep us advised on Jerry's progress.

Sullivan Selected in Third Round of MLB Draft by San Diego 

TULSA, Okla. – Oral Roberts University junior right-handed pitcher Jerry Sullivan was selected 83rd overall in the third round of the 2009 MLB First-year Player Draft by the San Diego Padres on Tuesday night.

With the 83rd pick, Sullivan is the sixth highest selection in ORU history and the highest since 1987 when Bob Zupcic was taken 32nd overall.

“This season was a situation where Coach Walton and I didn’t worry about the draft and we just focused on pitching and getting better,” said Sullivan. “This is a really a blessing and all the hard work I’ve put in paid off.”

“Jerry is a guy who had arm problems in high school and he’s climbed back to being 100 percent healthy,” said ORU baseball head coach Rob Walton. He went from throwing around 87-88 miles per hour to hitting 95 this season. He’s progressed from a thrower to a pitcher and changes speeds effectively. It’s been fun to watch his learning process over the past three years.

“He’s put on 30 pounds since he’s been here and it’s nice to see Jerry put it together and put himself in position to be drafted in the first three rounds.”

Sullivan put together a stellar 2009 campaign, posting an 8-3 record with a 3.12 ERA. Sullivan fanned 116 batters, which ranks fourth in ORU history for a single season, with only 27 walks in 98.0 innings pitched.

Sullivan was named to the All-Summit League first-team for the second time in three seasons after going 4-0 with a 2.18 ERA and 64 punch outs in 45 1/3 innings in conference play. The Budd Lake, N.J., native also earned Summit League all-tournament team honors, as well as Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week accolades by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, after tossing a complete-game one-hitter in ORU’s 9-1 opening round victory over Centenary on May 21. Sullivan followed that performance up by earning his first NCAA Regional victory against Cal Poly on May 29.

Sullivan earned his third-career All-America selection on Monday when he was named a third-team All-American by Ping!Baseball. In 2007, Sullivan was named a Freshman All-American by Collegiate Baseball and Ping!Baseball.

In three seasons at ORU, Sullivan has posted a career 22-5 record and a 3.21 ERA in 255 1/3 innings pitched. Sullivan has struck out 269 batters (fifth all-time at ORU) with only 60 walks.

Congrats to Jerry and family.  All of the hard work and sacrifice has paid off!  Sully sat at the table I did a couple years ago at the Diamond Dinner, and I found out then that he's a great young man on AND off the field.  Glad to see all of his hard work over the past three years (and before) rewarded.

Like Bogus said, I'll miss seeing him at JLJ, but look forward to seeing him doing bigger things some day!

Agree with Bogus and TMH - congrats to Irish - and Jerry.  What a great day!!!

We do not want to overlook the coaching staff and the great job they did in directing Sully's rehab and development.  We are very fortunate to have Rob and his assistants - they do a tremendous job.

Congratulations to Jerry. It is a tribute to his hard work and perseverance. We will look for him in the big leagues.

With Sully selected by a west-coast team, it's probable that he'll start his career in Eugene, Oregon (a short-season class A affiliate of the Padres).  If so, I'll be looking forward to seeing him play the week of July 4 in Boise. Looking for a road trip, Irish (or anyone)?

John Manuel from baseballamerican.com wrote a short note in his draft blog about Jerry Sullivan being taken by the Padres.

San Diego: Joey Sullivan, rhp, Oral Roberts: This is more in line with what you think of the Padres, a college pitcher who hits the mitt and has a good secondary pitch, in this case a slider. He’s also a Tommy John surgery alumnus.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?paged=3

Glad to see Sully drafted so high by SD but sad that the Phils didn't get him....would have loved seeing him reunited with former teammate Chance Chapman...alas, not to be.....and Serrano to the Reds and Andre to the Brewers....a big day for ORU pitchers!.... :-)