ORU vs. Kent St. Sunday....

theeagleman5

TheEagleman is just throwing this question out there....do we pitch Andre vs. Kent St. this afternoon or do we save him for the rematch tonight against ASU figuring we can beat Kent with our #4 starter?....is this a gamble that Coach Walton might take in an effort to beat the Sun Devils?...of course, we have to beat the Golden Flashes first....interesting call for Walton because if he uses Andre in game 1 today he has to go with a freshman against the #3 team in the nation tonight in front of a huge crowd....opinions on this one are welcome... :-P

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bowen has shown he can handle a big game (Arkansas), so I'd go with Andre this afternoon, Drew tonight, and the staff tomorrow.

Apparently, Kent State can hit a little bit.

If you're not careful, you end up wasting your whole bullpen in a high-scoring game this afternoon if your #4 doesn't do the job, and then where are you if Andre falters tonight?

We need Andre to go deep this afternoon, and then you hand the ball to one of the other guys (Burleson, Bowen, etc.) and tell him he gets to be a hero tonight on a national stage in front of the big crowd!

(Now having said that, watch Bowen get the start this afternoon!!)  :lol:

I would think seriously about giving Bowen the start this afternoon.  Conventional wisdom is you don't save your best pitcher and risk being eliminated before you ever get to him.  But we have to win 3 to advance, and I think we have a better chance of getting to Monday with Bowen against Kent and Andre against ASU.  Then on Monday, just about everyone should be available for a few innings, including Sully.

This is the Solomon's choice that losing to the # 1 seed puts a team in.  I like the strategy of going with # 4 in the early game.  Roll the dice for the big pay off. 

This is the Solomon's choice that losing to the # 1 seed puts a team in.  I like the strategy of going with # 4 in the early game.  Roll the dice for the big pay off. 

GREAT metaphor, there Otis!  That really nails it.  In my opinion, which isn't worth much, I'd say we go with Bowen or Burleson, probably Bowen, against Kent State, and save Andre for the rematch against ASU tonight, if we get that far. 

Tough decision for the coach.  It'll be interesting to see how we go.

GREAT metaphor, there Otis!  That really nails it.  In my opinion, which isn't worth much, I'd say we go with Bowen or Burleson, probably Bowen, against Kent State, and save Andre for the rematch against ASU tonight, if we get that far. 

Tough decision for the coach.  It'll be interesting to see how we go.

Isn't this the philosophy Centenary used in the Summit League tournament, holding their #1 out of the first round game with ORU, hoping to use him later in the finals?

I think he ended up pitching less than an inning of relief in the elimination game as they went "2-and-BBQ".  :oops:

We got our answer, and an insight into the thinking of Walton -

Lamontagne on the mound against Kent State.

ORU down 2-0 already in the first......not the best start for our guys...hope they can get those bats going.... :-P

Score updates appreciated (even if I don't like them).  In the long run, I still think we' be playing tonight - and hopefully again tomorrow!

Eagles getting it going now. Big hits and small ball. 4-3 ORU top 4th. Runners on 1st and 2nd. Still just 1 out

10-3 ORU as we head to the 5th....the Good Guys are outclassing the MAC Champs today...let's try to save that bullpen for the big rematch tonight with ASU....TheEagleman is not counting this one in the bag yet but the juices are flowing for the Sun Devils.... :wink: