Texas Tops Boston College - IN 25 INNINGS

Old Titan

Longest baseball game in NCAA history, Longhorns win it 3-2.

Game ended at 1:00 a.m., BC has to play the elimination game in less than 12 hours.

One guy for Texas pitched 13 innings in relief.

Will there be national consternation about his pitch count??  :roll:

i suspect it will not be a big deal, because it is not a regular occurrence w/ the texas staff.  a look at boyd's 'pitch count watch' and only 3 texas pitchers threw more than 120 pitches in an outing as of 5/23.

5/02 Texas Green, Cole W         Baylor           7.0 133

5/21 Texas Chance Ruffin         Kansas           9.0 129

5/23 Texas Taylor Jungmann   Kansas State   7.2  124

by comparison, ORU's list is much longer:

3/29 Oral Roberts Jerry Sullivan Missouri State   6.2    131(*)

4/11 Oral Roberts Jerry Sullivan South Dakota State 9.0    138(*)

4/17 Oral Roberts Jerry Sullivan Centenary           8.0    137

4/25 Oral Roberts Jerry Sullivan North Dakota State   9.0 131

4/25 Oral Roberts Mark Serrano North Dakota State  9.0    126

5/09 Oral Roberts Andre Lamontagne Oakland         9.0    159

5/10 Oral Roberts Jeff Burleson Oakland             9.0    125

5/12 Oral Roberts Drew Bowen Arkansas             8.2    177

5/14 Oral Roberts Jerry Sullivan Western Illinois        8.0 148

5/21 Oral Roberts Jerry Sullivan Centenary         9.0    137

5/23 Oral Roberts Andre Lamontagne South Dakota State 9.0    123

---(*) Count is estimated.

in addition to the numbers above sullivan threw 123 against cal poly and serrano threw 158 pitches against ASU.  for sullivan alone that is 7 games of more than 120 pitches (w/6 of those more than 130)...there is no way that those numbers help him in the upcoming draft

http://www.boydsworld.com/data/pitchcount.html

Accordding to the Tulsa World, Serrano only threw 115 pitches in 8.1 innings Saturday night vs. Arizona State, but the Arizona Republic story repeats the 158 count.

Regardless, I'm not sure why there is now such an infatuation with pitch counts.  It's pretty obvious the Big Three starters in ORU's rotation are capable of throwing a lot of pitches with no negative repercussions.

It's also pretty obvious that Coach Walton feels they are our best three arms by far, and he wants them with the ball as much as possible before handing it over to a suspect bullpen.

Personally, I was alarmed at the situation with Bowen at Arkansas, but that was because he is a seldom used freshman and you worry about his arm; plus he tired at the end of a spectacular performance and unfortunately lost a game he might have won with just a little relief help.

Otherwise, let a guy who's in command and/or finishing off a win stay in there!

the tulsaworld got it wrong...the 158 number comes from the boxscore.

i understand the idea of letting a pitcher finish a game.  however, the prevailing wisdom in baseball circles is that high pitch counts lead to arm problems later on.

some of the pitch counts are real headscratchers.  a perfect example is the april 11 double header w/SDSU.  ORU won those games 22-1, and 16-0 respectively.  sullivan threw 138 pitches in a 9 inning complete game and serrano pitched a 7 inning complete game in the nightcap.  both games would have been perfect opportunities to get the bullpen some work.

the worst example has to be may 14 when sullivan threw 148 pitches in 8 innings against the western illinois.  ORU won the game 33-3.

obviously coach walton knows what he is doing w/pitchers and i'm sure he has his reasons.  however, if i were recruiting a top arm against ORU i would use those numbers in a second to recruit against ORU.  no offense to our league but the goal for these guys is not a complete game against the likes of SDSU or WIU it is to get to the big leagues.

TheEagleman wonders how much either of the teams will have left in the tank today?....pitching for both is wasted expecially BC who used 8 hurlers...does this bode well for Army who plays BC early this afternoon...if TheEagleman were a betting man...i would lay the whole wad on the Black Knights today.....at least the Longhorns have until tonight to rest up and didn't use as many pitchers...plus, am guessing that Texas has plenty of depth in the pen.... :-P

obviously coach walton knows what he is doing w/pitchers and i'm sure he has his reasons.  however, if i were recruiting a top arm against ORU i would use those numbers in a second to recruit against ORU.  no offense to our league but the goal for these guys is not a complete game against the likes of SDSU or WIU it is to get to the big leagues.

Sullivan and Serrano sure didn't seem to have tired arms this weekend. 

Perhaps all the innings against the SDSU's of the world better prepared them for the rigor of their starts in 100-degree heat in Tempe.

Army just knocked out BC....guess their tank was empty...so the 4th seed Black Knights get a rematch vs. Texas later today.... :-P