Boyd's World Tournament Probabilities

NormanDale

This may not interest anyone else ... but I thought it was worth a post.

I'm always intrigued by the ISR (Iterative Strength Ratings) rankings from Boyd's World.  He believes it's a better judge of team ranking than RPI. 

According to these probabilities, OU has the third lowest chance of any #1 seed to win their regional (54.5%).  All but two #1's are given at least a 50% chance of holding serve - Louisville (47.3%) and TCU (48.4%).

These rankings aren't all that kind to ORU.  Giving us a mere 3.6% chance of winning the Tempe Regional, a 1.2% chance of winning a super regional, a 0.1% chance at making the final, and a 0.0% chance at bringing home a title.  Cal-Poly (7.6%) is actually given a higher probability of making the Super Regionals than we are.

These rankings LOVE Fullerton, giving the Titans a 32.6% chance to win it all. Three teams have better than a 10% probability of taking the crown, with the other two being Arizona State (19.2%) and Texas (13.2%).

Below are the Tempe and Norman Regional probabilities.  The complete list can be found at http://boydsworld.com/data/fieldprobs2009.html.

Norman Regional

Reg    Super  Final  Champ  Team

54.5    34.6    5.5    2.2        Oklahoma

32.0    13.8    1.7    0.5        Arkansas

11.3      3.9    0.3    0.1        Washington State

2.2      0.2    0.0    0.0        Wichita State

Tempe Regional

Reg    Super  Final  Champ  Team

88.6  78.2    34.1    19.2      Arizona State

3.6      1.2      0.1      0.0      Oral Roberts

7.6      3.0      0.4      0.1      Cal Poly

0.2      0.0      0.0      0.0      Kent State

These rankings LOVE Fullerton, giving the Titans a 32.6% chance to win it all ... more than two and a half times more than Texas (the 2nd highest probability) at 13.2%.  Those are the only two teams given higher than a 10% chance to win it all.

Actually, it would appear our very own host Arizona State is given the second-best chance to win it all at 19.2%, with Texas the third favorite.

Interesting stuff, though - especially the #4 Seeds given a 0.0% chance of winning their regionals.

That sort of absolute denial is likely to get Mr. Boyd burned one of these days.

He should take a moment to remember these are not just theoretical algorithms in a computer simulation; they're 18-and-19-year-old boys playing a game in the dirt.

And stranger things have happened...  8-)

Actually, it would appear our very own host Arizona State is given the second-best chance to win it all at 19.2%, with Texas the third favorite.

Good catch ... I've made the change to reflect it above.

These rankings LOVE Fullerton, giving the Titans a 32.6% chance to win it all. Three teams have better than a 10% probability of taking the crown, with the other two being Arizona State (19.2%) and Texas (13.2%).

I have to agree.  I have the Titans taking the Championship game, too.  They showed me a lot when they took it to us in March; however, I'd love to meet up with them in the CWS and see where we stand today!!  :wink:

Cal-Fullerton vs. ORU in the CWS Final....sounds good to TheEagleman!... :-D