Cal-Poly Information

ORUTerry

Feel free to post any information about Cal-Poly in this link.

Here is some data from the Warren Nolan web site:  Link

The tournament will be played in Tempe at "Winkles Field-Packard Stadium at Brock Ballpark".  The Sun Devils must be rolling in the cash with their "triple play" approach to marketing rights!

Don't get me started on the name JL Johnson Stadium..... a name change (Hobby Lobby Stadium or something) should be a priority in the future.

Don't get me started on the name JL Johnson Stadium..... a name change (Hobby Lobby Stadium or something) should be a priority in the future.

or take the ASU approach --- Green Field - JL Johnson Stadium at Mardel Park

Hey, "Beautiful J.L." donated the money to build the darn thing, didn't he?

Actually, from what I heard, he 'committed' to give an amount but ended up giving far less than that. It ended up being a paltry amount.

It's a testament to the density of the population and fertile recruiting, that Cal-poly Pomona, Fullerton and UC-Irvine are all within 15-25 miles of each other.  It would be like 3 teams making the tournament from the greater Tulsa area.

FYI - The Cal Poly in the tournament is Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo), which is located about mid-way between LA and the Bay area.

At a quick glance, ORU appears to have a much stronger pitching staff.  The Mustangs best starter has an ERA of 4.78, and a WHIP (walks and hits per inning) of 1.54.  The Eagles best hurler has an ERA of 2.42 and a WHIP of a meager 0.95.  In fact, ORU's third starter has a better WHIP than all four Mustang starters.  If pitching wins games (and it does), ORU should have a decided advantage.

Offensively, CPSLO has a bit more firepower (.324 to .304) and speed (75 SB in 56 games vs. 33 SB in 44 games), but ORU has the bigger stick (1.6 homers per game vs. 1.1 for the Mustangs).

Quik Trip Park has a nice ring to it....... :-D

FYI - The Cal Poly in the tournament is Cal Poly (San Luis Obispo), which is located about mid-way between LA and the Bay area.

Uh Oh, didn't do my homework. :oops:

Highlights so far in 2009 include winning two of three games in a season-opening weekend series against then-No. 3 Rice, winning two of three games at 2008 NCAA regional qualifier Houston, series sweeps against Sacramento State, Cal State Bakersfield, Cal State Northridge and UC Davis, a pair of wins over defending national champion Fresno State, a 7-4 triumph over perennial Big West power Cal State Fullerton, the series win at Long Beach State two weeks ago, the Mustangs’ first win over USC in 34 years, five extra-inning victories, seven walk-off triumphs and a total of 21 come-from-behind wins.

They have had some big victories this season.  We shan't let that#2 seed go to our heads.

These guys will be no walk over, but I say we still get the win.

What's interesting is that they were ranked in the teens and twenties all season by the CBN and coaches polls, yet, we get the better seed. What does that tell ya?

One of those posts reminded me of last year. It said that this year 5 unexpected teams won their conferences, that may not have made it in otherwise.  It seems like last year there were more, and that's why so many good 'bubble' teams were knocked out.  This year there are several, but not as bad as last year.

Should be a very competitive first game vs. Cal-Poly....will Sully be starting Game 1 or does Coach Walton go with Andre vs. his homeboys since he is from that area of California?....or, does he go with Summit player of the year Serrano?....tough choice for Rob.....guess that's why Coach makes the big bucks.... :-D

My guess is that Serrano will be matched with Leake of Arizona State if at all possible.  Leake is projected to go early in the draft and both pitchers are nominated for pitcher of the year awards.  In order to get that match up though, you would have to pitch either Sully or Andre.

Either one could go. Both are highly motivated to do well, especially at this level.  If memory serves me correctly Chappy pitched against the Sun Devils but didn't have his best stuff that day and still struck out 6. Eric Crichton pitched 2 innings in the first game defeat 4-3. Preston Quimet and Jason Stoffel pitched in relief for the Sun Devils.  In my opinion, the game against Cal-Poly will be decided by who plays better in the field.  There will be no room for errors, wild pitches or passed balls. Go Eagles.