Dallas Baptist Should Join the Summit League

Old Titan

...in baseball only (their lone D-1 sport, I think).

Would provide the Summit with another badly-needed warm weather location for early season match-ups, plus a natural geographic rival for ORU, especially if Centenary leaves the league as feared.

Would provide the Summit with another badly-needed warm weather location for early season match-ups, plus a natural geographic rival for ORU, especially if Centenary leaves the league as feared.

About the only time Centenary has been "feared" in any sport! :-D

Dallas Baptist in the Summit League?....TheEagleman would love it!... :wink:

Good move for the Summit, bad move for DBU. I can't imagine them wanting to travel to the frozen tundra to north, and out west to Utah.  As for us, I would love to see us play them and others of similar size and quality in a 4 or 5 state region.

Good move for the Summit, bad move for DBU. I can't imagine them wanting to travel to the frozen tundra to north, and out west to Utah.  As for us, I would love to see us play them and others of similar size and quality in a 4 or 5 state region.

If DBU gets left out of the tournament this year, with a better RPI and strength of schedule than ORU, the Summit League's automatic tournament bid might start to look pretty good.

DBU should get in as a 4 seed somewhere....wouldn't mind seeing them in Norman with us....we will know in 20 minutes..... :|

How in the world did Oklahoma State - who only won 2 of the 9 conference series - get in over Dallas Baptist?

The big school bias strikes again.

Geez.....right again, OT......DBU is better than at least 10 teams in this tournament... :-P

Add Rhode Island to that list.....

OSU and Missouri? Are you kidding me?

Add Rhode Island to that list.....

OSU and Missouri? Are you kidding me?

Oh, Missouri deserved to get in, even to host.  It's Baylor that's a joke:  29 wins and 22 losses?  Gimme a break!  :roll:

if ORU had stumbled and lost the Summit Tourney does anyone think they would have gotten an at large bid over OSU or Baylor?  i feel the bias toward the Big XII is pretty blatant this year.

In a way, DBU was in the Summit this year - and lost their Summit tourney game (at home) to ORU last Monday.  If they had won that game, would that have pushed them over the top for an NCAA berth?  I would think so...

But, then again, I think they deserved to get in even with that loss.

Big Ignorance Rewards Big 12

(excerpt)

I didn’t think the Division I baseball committee could make an at-large choice much more egregious than taking Oklahoma last year, but at least it got the other 63 teams right in 2008. On the whole, that was a very well constructed field.

The committee really outdid itself this year, taking both Baylor (10-16 in the Big 12) and Oklahoma State (9-16 in the Big 12). These choices are irresponsible and indefensible, and I’m embarrassed for the committee and for college baseball.

I’m certain committee chairman Tim Weiser will use the Ratings Percentage Index as a fig leaf in his conference call with media this afternoon. The Cowboys rank 25th in the RPI, according to warrennnolan.com, while the Bears rank 31st.

But the RPI is a crutch for the lazy and the ignorant, and it’s time for the committee to start doing its homework. Baylor lost 12 of its last 14 regular-season games. The Bears were swept in their last three series, including a horrendous sweep at the hands of last-place Nebraska last weekend when they were desperate for a series win to salvage their regional hopes. I understand the Big 12 is a strong league—I have been banging that drum all year—but Baylor finished 10-16 in that league and was swept by a Nebraska team that entered that weekend with a 5-19 conference record.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=1301

Big Ignorance Rewards Big 12

(excerpt)

I didn’t think the Division I baseball committee could make an at-large choice much more egregious than taking Oklahoma last year, but at least it got the other 63 teams right in 2008. On the whole, that was a very well constructed field.

The committee really outdid itself this year, taking both Baylor (10-16 in the Big 12) and Oklahoma State (9-16 in the Big 12). These choices are irresponsible and indefensible, and I’m embarrassed for the committee and for college baseball.

I’m certain committee chairman Tim Weiser will use the Ratings Percentage Index as a fig leaf in his conference call with media this afternoon. The Cowboys rank 25th in the RPI, according to warrennnolan.com, while the Bears rank 31st.

But the RPI is a crutch for the lazy and the ignorant, and it’s time for the committee to start doing its homework. Baylor lost 12 of its last 14 regular-season games. The Bears were swept in their last three series, including a horrendous sweep at the hands of last-place Nebraska last weekend when they were desperate for a series win to salvage their regional hopes. I understand the Big 12 is a strong league—I have been banging that drum all year—but Baylor finished 10-16 in that league and was swept by a Nebraska team that entered that weekend with a 5-19 conference record.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=1301

Great column - really exposes the obvious bias in favor of Big XII teams.

The head of the committee, Weiser of Kansas State, said on ESPN today that he advocates using  the "Who would you least want to play?" argument as to why certain at-large teams make the field, another version of the "passing the eye test" criteria mentioned (and ridiculed) so often during the basketball season.

The question is, does Weiser consider "the team he wouldn't want to play" based on a particular squad's current abilities, or the school name on their uniforms?

This was not our fathers' OSU or Baylor teams - why couldn't the selection committee see that?