Mid-Continent Notebook - Tulsa World (2-1-2006)

ORUTerry

Mid-Continent Notebook:

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

2/1/2006

The winner is

The league race passed the midway point Saturday night, so it's time to hand out our midterm all-conference awards.

The first team is predictably headed by Oral Roberts junior Caleb Green (20.5 points per game, 8.8 rebounds per game), the 2005 conference player of the year.

Green is joined by Oakland (Mich.) junior guard Calvin Wooten (21.1 ppg), Missouri-Kansas City junior guard Quinton Day (20.5 ppg, 5.2 assists per game), Valparaiso senior forward Dan Oppland (20.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg) and Indiana-Purdue sophomore forward George Hill (19.2 ppg, 6.1 rpg).

ORU senior Larry Owens (11.9 ppg, 8.2 rpg) would be the league's best sixth man if he didn't start and heads up the second team. It includes IUPUI's Brandon Cole (14.5 ppg, 7.6 rpg), Chicago State's Royce Parran (18.9 ppg), Western Illinois' David Jackson (15.1 ppg, 83 percent FTs), and ORU's injured Ken Tutt (14.1 ppg, 80 percent FTs), who has missed six games.

Wooten, who transferred from Rutgers, heads the all-newcomer team, which includes UMKC's Dee Ayuba (13.1 ppg, 6.4 rpg), Centenary's Chris Watson (15.1 ppg), Valpo's Mohamed Kone (10.2 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 39 blocked shots) and Southern Utah's Henry Uhegwu (11.0 ppg).

Day, who leads the league in assists and steals, is the top defender.

Ron Hunter, who has IUPUI atop the standings, and Bill Evans, who has Southern Utah a surprise fourth, are the top contenders for coach of the year.

Bad week II:

Valparaiso lost to Oakland for the first time in school history, then allowed IUPUI to rally from a 21-point deficit over the last 11:58 of regulation in Saturday's 87-82 overtime loss to the Jaguars.

The 0-2 week was the second straight for the Crusaders, who seemed ready to contend for a 10th league title in 12 years after their 80-60 win over ORU on Jan. 9.

"Psychologically, we're all frustrated," Valpo coach Homer Drew told the Northwest Indiana Times.

"We're disappointed because we played such a good first half, and we know we can play a better second half. We're disappointed because we wanted to come out with a 'W' because we're tired of losing."

Valpo shot 64.3 percent in the first half and led 47-25 early in the second half but was outshot 68.0 percent to 42.3 over the final 20 minutes.

The Crusaders need their full lineup back on the court. Mohamed Kone returned after missing two games while under investigation by the NCAA, but Shawn Huff is likely to miss another three weeks with a foot injury similar to that of ORU guard Ken Tutt.

Jimmie Miles returned after missing seven games with a viral infection but played only three minutes against IUPUI.

Hero time:

Maushae Byles scored all 12 of his points in the second half of IUPUI's win at Valparaiso, and George Hill scored 22 of his 26 after halftime, including seven in overtime.

Byles had missed seven games with an injured knee.

"(Byles) is out there playing on one leg, and he really stepped up and challenged his teammates at halftime," IUPUI coach Ron Hunter said.

"I've said all along that we have a special team. We showed more heart tonight than I've ever seen out of a team."

Hill also had 20 points, eight assists, four rebounds and four steals in a 63-57 win over West ern Illinois, and was the Mid-Con's Player of the Week for the second time.

Never again:

Calvin Wooten scored 40 points, a league high for the season, as Oakland broke its 16-game losing streak against Valparaiso with Thursday's 95-89 win.

"I can't tell you how happy I am that it's over," Grizzlies coach Greg Kampe told the Oakland Post. "The first few years, it really didn't matter to me, and then it grew and grew and grew. Everywhere you'd go, every question was about it, so now those questions are gone. We don't have to read about it every time we get ready to play Valpo."

Oakland hadn't beaten the Crusaders since entering the league in 1998-99. Last week's win avenged a 95-64 loss earlier this season.

Heating up:

Southern Utah has raised its overall shooting percentage by 45 points since the start of conference play. What's the secret?

"Getting the right guys to shoot and having them take good shots," said Thunderbirds coach Bill Evans.

Forward Nate Janes ranks second in overall percentage (.563), while guards Rand Janes and Steve Barnes and center Esteban Bonzano are among the Mid-Con's top six in 3-point percentage.

The Thunderbirds bring a three-game conference winning streak, their longest in four years, to play at ORU on Thursday night.

Fast breaks:

Valpo guard Seth Colclasure leads the Mid-Con in 3-point percentage (.488, 42-of-86), shooting 55 percent in conference play. . . . IUPUI's 20-point halftime comeback at Valpo was the largest in its brief Division I history. . . . Valpo's Dan Oppland has 26 straight double-figure scoring games.

The best Mid Con Notebook yet. Great job Mike. Well written, concise, good attention getters for headers. He wrote as if he is really paying attention to the Mid Con Conference. Very enjoyable read. Now if only our flagship radio station could get on board.

Guest EagleBackr
The best Mid Con Notebook yet...

With one exception: Southern Utah is actually third in the conference standings at 5-3, with the three losses by a total of only 8 points. ORU is the only team to have beaten Southern Utah on their home floor so far (by five); the other losses came at IUPUI (by one) and at Centenary (by 2). Wonder how some of the geniuses on the Valpo board who were calling for the Thunderbirds ouster in favor of IUPU-Fort Wayne a month ago feel now that they are looking up at SUU in the standings...

The game Thursday night is important because Southern Utah is capable of shooting well enough to beat us at the Mabee Center. They play that match-up zone defense that gets better as the season progresses (their players get accustomed to it). SUU will be playing for a chance to catch ORU (and IUPUI) and well-motivated for the game.

ORU has to defend the perimeter but not give up easy baskets down low by overplaying the passing lanes - ala Centenary. This team can shoot lights out and put points on the board quickly if they get hot.

A win would put ORU firmly in 2nd place in the conference race - right behind IUPUI.

Southern Utah is 1-10 on the road....it will be very interesting to see how they react to the road this weekend against ORU and Valpo.....My feeling is their run is done...

Guest EagleBackr
Southern Utah is 1-10 on the road....it will be very interesting to see how they react to the road this weekend against ORU and Valpo.....My feeling is their run is done...

...everyone in the Mid-Con has lousy road records due to their difficult non-conference schedules. Everyone, that is, except schools with non-conference schedules featuring home-and-away games with the likes of Longwood and IPFW...

Everyone, that is, except schools with non-conference schedules featuring home-and-away games with the likes of Longwood and IPFW...

Not wanting to get in the middle of a friendly discussion between you two guys or anything, but as a point of interest:

In the Massey Ratings that I mentioned yesterday, in which all NCAA levels are ranked together (including D1-3 and NAIA 1&2) Longwood ranks #595.

Just thought I'd throw that out.

Here is Southern Utah's Mid-Con record:

beat UMKC 97 to 63 at home

lost to ORU 79 to 84 at home

lost at IUPUI 66 to 67

won at Oakland 76 to 73

lost at Centenary 65 to 67

beat WIU 69 to 53 at home

beat Valpo 73 to 61 at home

beat Chicago State 73 to 59 at home

They are playing well and holding opponents over the last three games (at home) to an average of 58 ppg. We scored the most points against them (84) with the next largest total of 73 from Oakland.

This is a dangerous team.... especially if we let them get in a shooting rhythm. Defense and rebounding will be the key..... and limiting turnovers.

With one exception: Southern Utah is actually third ; the other losses came at IUPUI (by one). . .

IUPUI has had some decisive wins; but they've also had repeated close calls against Mid-Con teams. They beat Southern Utah by one at home; they beat Oakland at Oakland by one; they beat UMKC at UMKC by six; they beat WIU at WIU by six; they beat Valpo by five in OT; and, obviously, they lost to ORU by ten.

While an argument can be made (I've made it before myself) that quality teams find a way to win in close situations, I believe that IUPUI is ripe for the taking. Who will step up and do it? ORU had better, on 2/11, if they want to see a first place finish.

By the way, IUPUI plays their next four games at home, where they've played best, but after that play Centenary, Chicago State, and Southern Utah, in that order, on the road. The conference championship may come down to the outcome of the final game of the season.