The latest on the "Great Rain Season of 09"

Geoff Haxton

Even though the weather that was forcast for Saturday was good there was no way we could play today.

Let me give you a little background on what went down up North this week.

I woke up Friday morning at 7:30.  It was raining in Keokuk, Iowa then (45 miles west of Macomb).  Also it poured on us Wednesday as we arrived.  There have been flood warnings up that way for a while as well.

It did not stop raining until we parked the bus at 3 am at JL Johnson early Saturday morning.

That includes the trip that departed Iowa at 6:15 PM all the way east to Illinois and South to Oklahoma.

The line of thunderstorms that we were in went from Macomb to NE Kansas.  It absolutely washed away any hopes of playing today. 

Yes, the tarp has holes, the field doesn't drain well, there are no lights and yes WIU had no doubt packed it in. 

When the coaches went to view the field Friday there was a lake in right field.  Some of the standing water went above shoe level.  No way we could play.

This has been the most incredible/awful weather for a season I can remember.  I don't remember feeling so bit by the snake.

It's just amazing.  And miserable.  Wherever we go the "monsoon" is sure to follow. 

I have a feeling the worst is behind us.  The bad thing is, and I mentioned this earlier, this team needs every pitch, ab, inning and game it can get.  We haven't been able to get hardly any.  That, as TMH says, stinks.

Reason for optimism........this team, despite its drawbacks, has scored more runs in conference play than any other ever.  If they can get it together.  The sky is the limit STILL.  Despite all the nonsense with mom nature.

Hopefully that helps you draw up your mind's picture as to what we've dealt with. 

Go Eagles.

Hax

Headed into the post-season, ORU may well be either (or both) the most rested or the most rusty team in all of college baseball.  :-P

See all of you at the Summit League conference tourney at the ORU stadium. Check the Athletic Department for some great "packages" on tickets, meals,etc.

GREAT post, all the way around, Geoff.  Great explanation of what happened, and the reasons for optimism still.

My concern is that rain leads to rust - of the baseball variety.  These guys haven't been facing pitches, fielding hot shots, etc.  Some of our guys already seemed to be struggling a bit - another weekend without games can only make matters worse.  Hopefully  they can work through playig 25% less baseball than their competition from this point out.

Baseball is a game of repetition, confidence, routine and mental toughness.  This season has not done us any favors for building on any of these; however, it doesn't take much to get the mojo flowing in any and all of these.  A good week of baseball will be a great dose of medicine for the team. 

If we go 3-1 this week, we should be very pleased with that result based on the previous 40 games.  Geoff, thanks for the recap and insight.  Bring us back a win on Monday (please!).

It's interesting how things work out.  A few weeks ago, there were several comments on this board regarding the wisdom of scheduling the DBU rainout during the week before the Summit tourney.  At the time, it seemed crazy to place an additional burden on the pitching staff (and rest of the team) right before the conference championships.  As it works out, however, with only one game played at WIU and the risk of rust setting in, this game appears to be "just what the doctor ordered".  Amazing how "all things work together for good..." :wink:

It's interesting how things work out.  A few weeks ago, there were several comments on this board regarding the wisdom of scheduling the DBU rainout during the week before the Summit tourney.  At the time, it seemed crazy to place an additional burden on the pitching staff (and rest of the team) right before the conference championships.  As it works out, however, with only one game played at WIU and the risk of rust setting in, this game appears to be "just what the doctor ordered".  Amazing how "all things work together for good..." :wink:

Great post, JB :wink:!!

Why go all the way to Dallas for one game?...why not play two?...especially since we had a whole series rained out there earlier...seems to the TheEagleman that a DH would be in order and get our pitchers some much needed work for the weekend..... :-P