Re: Sunday Oakland Doubleheader

Old Titan

Good guys lead it 8-2 in the seventh in the first game, couple of big home runs early from Sequeira and Roberts.  Serrano with 7 K's through six innings.

ORU scores a touchdown in the second inning of the nightcap.

Burleson on the bump - Golden Eagles lead it 7-0, bottom of the third.

ORU ends up winning the series, 12-1.  Nice comeback from a very poor Friday game.  Three complete games from our pitchers to close out the series.

The team is 26-12 going into the last week (eight days) of the season.  We should have 30 or more wins going into the Summit League Tournament.

Very impressed with the complete game performance by Jeff Burleson.  It is likely that we will only need three starting pitchers for the Summit tourney, but having a solid fourth in reserve (just in case) is always a benefit.  AND, having four or five starters is key to advancing to a NCAA super-regional.  Our prospects of winning a NCAA regional have increased greatly based upon the stellar performances of Drew Bowen and Jeff Burleson within the past week.

What's even more impressive is that Burleson has always been an infielder - even when he was in Junior College.  The story I heard was that Rob saw Jeff play and told him that he looked more like a pitcher than a third baseman.  I don't think that Jeff agreed with Rob's assessment until the last 30 days when he started having some time (and some success) on the mound.  It is another example of how Rob Walton can evaluate talent and see something that will improve a player's chance for success. 

Let's hope that we can get the rain cycle out of the middle of the country long enough to get six more games in for the guys to have some consistency.  It's possible that they could be hitting their stride at the right time - regardless of their record or number of games played.

Looks like we showed Oakkand who's boss yesterday...TheEagleman is impressed that ORU came back to win those last 3 games of the series....now it's over to Arkansas and let's get some Hog......it would seem that the #1 seed for the Summit Tournament is just about wrapped up.... :-D

Baseball is a funny game, Larry, with so many variations (hot pitcher, field conditions, bad bounces, umpire's strikezone, etc.) that it is very difficult to win EVERY game, even against inferior competition.  I remember hearing a story about an ORU no-hitter back in the early 70's, when we beat an NAIA team (Missouri Southern?) something like 26-0.  What the media guide doesn't tell you, however, is that the Titans lost the second game of the doubleheader.  It's a crazy game!

Baseball is a funny game, Larry, with so many variations (hot pitcher, field conditions, bad bounces, umpire's strikezone, etc.) that it is very difficult to win EVERY game, even against inferior competition.  I remember hearing a story about an ORU no-hitter back in the early 70's, when we beat an NAIA team (Missouri Southern?) something like 26-0.  What the media guide doesn't tell you, however, is that the Titans lost the second game of the doubleheader.  It's a crazy game!

I remember that doubleheader.

When then-President Oral Roberts heard what happened in the first game, he made a rare personal appearance (for him) for the nightcap, apparently expecting a similar result.

And then we lost.  :oops:

After further review...

I think ORUBlue82 and I may be getting our stories a little mixed up (me more than him, but what else is new), possibly because there are several Jekyll-and-Hyde doubleheaders to choose from:

The doubleheader I think I'm recalling was on April 6, 1976, when ORU blasted Oklahoma State at their place by a score of 21-7 in the first game.  Then, with a fashionably late but still expectant O.R. making the trip to Stillwater for the nightcap, the Titans fell 7-4.

ORUBlue82 is likely recalling one of the following:  a doubleheader on March 5, 1977, where ORU won the first game as Warren Hollier threw a no-hitter in a 10-1 score over Oklahoma Baptist, but then lost the second game of that twinbill, 3-2.  Or it could be a 27-0 win (but not a no-hitter) vs. Bethany Nazarene on March 1, 1971, which was promptly followed by a 4-2 loss in the second game.

Moral:  baseball is a funny game.  :-P

That's true, baseball is a funny game. Much more than in basketball, on any given day . . .

After further review...

I think ORUBlue82 and I may be getting our stories a little mixed up (me more than him, but what else is new), possibly because there are several Jekyll-and-Hyde doubleheaders to choose from:

The doubleheader I think I'm recalling was on April 6, 1976, when ORU blasted Oklahoma State at their place by a score of 21-7 in the first game.  Then, with a fashionably late but still expectant O.R. making the trip to Stillwater for the nightcap, the Titans fell 7-4.

ORUBlue82 is likely recalling one of the following:  a doubleheader on March 5, 1977, where ORU won the first game as Warren Hollier threw a no-hitter in a 10-1 score over Oklahoma Baptist, but then lost the second game of that twinbill, 3-2.  Or it could be a 27-0 win (but not a no-hitter) vs. Bethany Nazarene on March 1, 1971, which was promptly followed by a 4-2 loss in the second game.

Moral:  baseball is a funny game.  :-P

Thanks for the memory jog, OT.

I was referring to the Bethany Nazarene DH, which I incorrectly remembered as a no-hitter.  I now (correctly) remember than the first game (27-0) was in the record books (and may still be) as the largest margin of victory in school history...but the Titans lost the nightcap.  Pretty amazing...

OU baseball field is a tiny place.  Especially to center and right center. 

And, they can hit.  They can protect runners.  They run the bases well.  They have a ton of lefty's in the lineup.  Those are a few of the resons we lost.

The main reasons are we didn't pitch or field.  Costly errors and bad pitching cost us the game there.

OT you're right.  Let us not forget that Oklahoma State smashed Western Illinois by some unreal margin like 25-2 and then turned around and lost the night cap.

Stuff like you guys are talking about happens.

Hope we get the Hogs.

hax