Re: Eagles vs. Grizz...Sat. DH

theeagleman5

Game 1 should be underway today....no live stats available on the website...any updates from radio?.... :-P

What ever happened to Mike Minyard?...haven't heard from that dude since the end of the basketball season...did he get lost coming back from South Dakota?.... :-P

No word for sure, but 60% chance of showers up there this AM- could it be - another . . .  rainout . . .

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooo. . . . . . .!!!!!

The Oakland website says that the game has been pushed back to noon our time due to weather:

"Due to inclement weather in the local area, the Oakland University baseball team's noon doubleheader with Oral Roberts has been pushed back to a 1 p.m. start time. Stay tuned to www.ougrizzlies.com for further updates."

Unfortunately Geoff doesn't have access to internet at Oakland so that he can keep up updated on game status.  I'm pretty sure they'll play today - showers are supposed to taper off in the afternoon.

Yeah...weather map shows some showers in southern Michigan....hopefully they will move east and the DH will be played....it's still early in the day...and what else is there to do?....Let's play two!....TheEagleman has to hit the road for a trip to the Jersey shore...back tonight and will be looking for a full report on the day's action on the diamond.....and what's the word on Mike Minyard?....missing in action?.... :|

Looking at 1:30 ct at the earliest.  Pulling tarp at 1pm.

Light rain falling.  Sound familiar?

Looking at 1:30 ct at the earliest.  Pulling tarp at 1pm.

Light rain falling.  Sound familiar?

Oh, BROTHER :-P . . .

I believe that the issue becomes lighting up there, right Geoff?  They don't have lights on their field, so they may have to call the second game due to darkness, if the start of the first game is put off too late. 

One thing about it - as far north as they are it probably gets dark later than it does here in Tulsa, so that MIGHT help them get in a second game.

Oakland is probably not as hung up about that as we are - yesterday Geoff said that they've played eleven more games than ORU.

BTW, Geoff, it's raining off and on in Tulsa :| . . .

Game start now "scheduled" for 1:45, according to the Oakland web site.

ORU wins nine inning game today, 10-6.

Second, seven inning game has been moved to tomorrow because of the late start of today's game and no lights at Oakland Baseball Field. 

Eleven AM start for the first game tomorrow.  Take your radios to church :-D!!

Nice to get back in the win column today....is TheEagleman the only one wondering why Andre threw a whopping 159 pitches and went the whole nine innings today?....It's not like he was Cy Young or anything giving up 6 runs and 12 hits.....I know these are young arms but that's about 30-35 pitches beyond reasonable.....clearly Coach Walton doesn't seem to believe in pitch count.....or did the counter get stuck?.... :-P

Nice to get back in the win column today....is TheEagleman the only one wondering why Andre threw a whopping 159 pitches and went the whole nine innings today?....It's not like he was Cy Young or anything giving up 6 runs and 12 hits.....I know these are young arms but that's about 30-35 pitches beyond reasonable.....clearly Coach Walton doesn't seem to believe in pitch count.....or did the counter get stuck?.... :-P

OSU's Tyler Blandford threw 166 pitches in a complete game win over OU last night.  Another OSU pitcher, Tyler Lyons, threw 140 pitches before being relieved in the ninth on Saturday.  Seems like a lot of guys going with high pitch counts lately.

I had a whole post typed up in response to this on Saturday, then decided I don't know enough about what I'm talking about to offer an opinion!!  I just wonder if it's because ORU pitchers haven't been seeing a lot of action lately, and as long as their pitching well, Walton elects to leave them in. 

Might be a good question to ask if Walton is able to make the Coaches Luncheon - what his philosophy is on pitch count, and what factors he uses to determine when to take a pitcher out.

I heard someone talking on the radio the other day discussing this. They said that Nolan Ryan (who evidently coaches for the Texas Rangers) is not a fan of pitch counts. The person went on to say that Nolan Ryan once pitched a complete game where he threw +250 (!) pitches.

Great article, Terry!!

Here's the real meat of the issue, at least from the standpoint of allowing highe pitch counts:

"The practice of counting pitches has all but eliminated the aesthetically pleasing complete game performance. Last year, the Indians had only five complete games and the Houston Astros had a major league low of only one. Through games of August 23 of the 2004 campaign, the Mets and Yankees had the fewest CGs with only one while the Indians staff had five.

Hall of Famer Bob Feller used to have that many in two weeks. In 1946, he hurled 36 complete games.

Retired players generally scoff at the idea that a major leaguer should throw only 100 pitches. "I used to have that many by the second inning," joked Sam McDowell, who pitched for the Indians from 1961 to 1971, winning 122 games and leading the league in strikeouts five times.

McDowell and another fireballer, Sonny Siebert, who threw a no-hitter for Cleveland in 1966, both said they had games in which they threw more than 200 pitches. Nolan Ryan is said to have thrown 259 pitches in a 12-inning game in 1974.

"I don't believe in taking a pitcher out unless he's in trouble," said Siebert. "If a guy is young and in shape, the number of pitches shouldn't be a problem."

Said McDowell: "The more you use a muscle, the stronger it gets."

"

Little league adopted pitch count limits last year.  They used to limit a pitcher by number of innings pitched in a week.  It is a good thing for parents and coaches to be aware of the pitch count for the kids.  At least they may have some understanding and be able to monitor it.  It is administratively much harder to keep up with.  The base umpire actually counts the pitches and reports them to the scorekeepers.

Pitch count is certainly an issue with younger arms that are still developing...I once read an article that pitchers need to be monitored closely up until the age of about 25 while there is still arm growth...it seems a shame that many college coaches wear out young arms with 150+ pitch outings on a routine basis....no wonder why major league teams tend to move towards drafting HS pitchers as opposed to college hurlers...we can certainly remember a few recent college star pitchers whose arms were ruined at the college level....how about that Mark Prior of USC a few years ago and then there was Tyler Green of Wichita State back in the early 90's......plenty more I am sure....yes, sometimes pitch count can be overrated but when you consider 6-8 warm ups per inning, pre game warm ups and throws over to first...I am sure that Andre L must have logged close to 250 tosses in saturday's game....geez.... :-P