Re: Mabee Center Upgrades?

SOLO_Gold

Here's a story about Dr. Rutland's plans to restructure the university's fiscal priorities.

I found the very end of the article particularly interesting!!!

ORU's president-elect outlines goals

"The school is also spending $10 million to upgrade the Mabee Center, along with classrooms and chemistry labs."

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story/ORUs-president-elect-outlines-goals/JHAwChWXC0yr4bjLp-UL2Q.cspx

Great find, senior!  I'd hoped the link would flesh out the leading statement a bit, which it didn't, but I'm glad to see that there are at least plans in the work to do some improvements to the "Magnificent Mabee Center"!!!  It's still the best place in town to watch a ball game.

Great find, senior!  I'd hoped the link would flesh out the leading statement a bit, which it didn't, but I'm glad to see that there are at least plans in the work to do some improvements to the "Magnificent Mabee Center"!!!  It's still the best place in town to watch a ball game.

and has the best parking  8-)

My list of Mabee Revisions:

More escalators

South entrance

Blue chair in lower bowl

Locker room upgrades

Office Upgrades

To those of us that have been attending ORU games at there for a long time, the Magnificent Mabee Center is kind of like that beloved first car, or an old wooden sailboat to a sailing enthusieist, or that special instrument to a musician.  Mabee Center is showing signs of age - over thirty five years and counting - but it is beloved by the fans that have seen many a magical moment in it's confines over it's "magnificent" history.

I hope that whatever renovations are done make the Mabee Center better, but we don't lose the esthetic that has made it magnificent.

My changes:

new (better) management

blue seats in the lower bowl

paint the outside

fit the outside stairs (concrete, railing, etc)

My changes:

new (better) management

paint the outside

I'd love to see blue in the lower bowl, but I'd hate to see the wonderfully comfortable seats replaced with the undersized plastic variety commonly used in recently-built arenas.  If blue seats means plastic seats, I say leave 'em like they are.

My changes:

new (better) management

paint the outside

I'm assuming that you mean FIX the outside stairs.  As they say, if it doesn't fit, you must acquit (posting)!!  :-D

The outside stairs have deterioriated over the last 35+ years (imagine that!) and they do need some attention before someone gets hurt in a non ice-related mishap.

I think the reporter gave a misleading statement. We're spending $10 million on summer renovations, but that includes nearly every building on campus. The only items for Mabee Center that have been mentioned (so far) are replacing the arena/stage lighting system and replacing area tile and carpet.

I agree.... the story is not worded well. The Green's have donated another $10 million for summer renovations - and that includes some remodeling of the Mabee Center. I have heard the same items you mentioned.

I have also heard that the renovations include 'fixing' the facade at the baseball stadium.

The start of construction of the indoor baseball/soccer complex is scheduled to begin any day I think. It just has to stop raining.

I've also heard of some pretty significant upgrades to towers - new carpet throughout, renovations to bathrooms, and replacement of the "original" pull-out beds with new bunkbeds.  Returning students will be pleased in August.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on what has been done?