Sunday game vs Centenary

MrsSmith

That was a big 6 spot in the 8th!....now on to the 9th...3 more outs and it's another ORU sweep....Gents have to be stunned after coming in to JLJ at 23-6.....ouch!.... :-P

Burleson starts off the 9th with another  2Ks....this kid is in his 7th inning of scoreless relief and has 12 strikeouts....incredible!.....the star of the game for sure!.... :-D

Great comeback win for the ORU sweep...15-8 final.....Gents go home licking their wounds!.....TheEagleman loves it!.....bring on Arkansas!... :-D

It would be nice to pick up 2 non-conference wins midweek against the razorbacks and DB, while we're on a bit of a roll.

ORU has now opened up a 2 game lead over SUU who visits JLJ in two weeks....big series up in Fargo next weekend after these two mid week games....early inside word has Marge Gunderson throwing out the first ball in that first game against the Bison.... :-D

Early forecast for Fargo next weekend looks like it will be pretty raw and cold.  Highs in the 40's and 50's with rain chances on Friday and Sunday.  Welcome to the Summit League!!

Meanwhile, it looks to be in the low 80's in Tulsa next weekend. 

ORU has now opened up a 2 game lead over SUU who visits JLJ in two weeks....big series up in Fargo next weekend after these two mid week games....early inside word has Marge Gunderson throwing out the first ball in that first game against the Bison.... ;D

NDSU dropped some of their games in the series to SDSU by 10+ runs... just wait till Walton and Co. head up there.

The sweep of Centenary this weekend, especially the way we did, was great at several levels.  It padded our W/L record, it dispelled some of the talk that this might be the year that ORU gets knocked off it's "king-of-the-hill" status, and sends a bit of a signal to the rest of the league - although I'm not all that sure a signal really needed to be sent.  It also gave as the opportunity to scout their pitching a bit and know what to expect in the conference tournament. 

One thing I saw on Saturday night that was kind of fun - when the called the "lightning delay", they tarped the field.  If you haven't seen it done, it's pretty cool.  Took all of three to five minutes to have it covered.  I was impressed.  The dad of one of the players that I know told me that sometimes they'll call the team and get them out of bed in the middle of the night to tarp if storms are threatening!! That would stink!!

I wasn't at the game, so I didn't see his performance, but listening on the radio Jeff Burleson was absolutely outstanding yesterday.  Twelve strikeouts in seven innings pitched, and only one walk and one run scored.  Just a tremendous job. 

If he's able to pitch consistently like that I'd think he'd find his way into the starting rotation.

I also noticed that he was subbed in for Notaro at first in the game preceding.  Multi-talented.  Actually, I'm pretty sure that Geoff said Burleson is relatively new to pitching, and that he'd played infield in the past. 

One other thing - Robert Barbosa played for the first time since he was beaned in the first game against SDSU back on April 10.  He came in in the sixth inning as a pinch hitter, then replaced Duffy in left field.  He made his return known with a walk, a double, and scoring twice. 

Welcome back, Robert :wink:!

With the sweep of Centenary, ORU's RPI soars to #45 (from #89) at 21-9, while Centenary heads to the middle of the pack at #148.

One other thing - Robert Barbosa played for the first time since he was beaned in the first game against SDSU back on April 10.  He came in in the sixth inning as a pinch hitter, then replaced Duffy in left field.  He made his return known with a walk, a double, and scoring twice. 

Welcome back, Robert :wink:!

I don't know why Robert hasn't been playing this week.  He was ok to play the next day after getting hit.  I'm not sure if it is because he is a walk on.  His stats are way better than Duffy's.  I guess Rob was trying to give Duffy a chance.  Our depth is really thin with the early injuries to the 3 outfield starters.

I don't know why Robert hasn't been playing this week.  He was ok to play the next day after getting hit.  I'm not sure if it is because he is a walk on.  His stats are way better than Duffy's.  I guess Rob was trying to give Duffy a chance.  Our depth is really thin with the early injuries to the 3 outfield starters.

I've heard from a couple of places (one of them was probably Bogus :wink:!) that the reason may be that when Barbosa came out of the lineup Colby Price came in, and was seeing enough success both on defense and at the plate that Rob didn't want to mess around with what was working.  That seems logical . . . unless you're Barbosa, of course :wink:!

That's a really great point about our outfielders.  Seems to be working out okay with the adjustments that Walton's made, though.