Trustee Gives $1 million to ORU Scholarship Fund

Bogus Smith

Trustee gives $1 million to ORU scholarship fund

by: SHANNON MUCHMORE World Staff Writer

Thursday, April 16, 2009

4/16/2009 11:12:38 AM

An Oral Roberts University trustee has donated $1 million to the school's Whole Person Scholarship Fund.

Michael Armand Hammer and his wife, Dru, announced his gift Wednesday at a meeting of the ORU Board of Trustees.

The gift will bring ORU's debt to about $2.5 million.

ORU President-elect Mark Rutland said Tuesday he expects the university to be debt-free "very soon."

Tulsa World

All I can say is, WOW!  It is absolutely humbling to see how God has worked through man to bring ORU back from the brink.

For those that may not know the story behind the story, Michael Hammer is the grandson of ultra-rich corporate magnet Armand Hammer, the late-Chairman and CEO of Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Oxy).  Michael married Dru Mobley in the early 80's after Oxy had purchased Tulsa-based Cities Service Company.  Dru's relative (Father or Grandfather) was a very close business and personal friend of Oral's and was active in his ministry.  It has been a very nice relationship for the University over the years and I'm sure others on this board have more intimate knowledge of this relationship with the University and how it all started; however, the Hammers have been very benevolent to the University for many, many years.  To multiply their gift at this time (prior to the end of the April 30 fiscal year) is more than likely a deliberate act on their part.

Which reminds me...for those of you wishing to submit a gift to the University, you have two more weeks before the end of the month to make your gift count and multiply.  Please prayerfully consider the possibility and be obedient (whether it is nothing or a lot).

For those that may not know the story behind the story, Michael Hammer is the grandson of ultra-rich corporate magnet Armand Hammer, the late-Chairman and CEO of Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Oxy).  Michael married Dru Mobley in the early 80's after Oxy had purchased Tulsa-based Cities Service Company.  Dru's relative (Father or Grandfather) was a very close business and personal friend of Oral's and was active in his ministry.  It has been a very nice relationship for the University over the years and I'm sure others on this board have more intimate knowledge of this relationship with the University and how it all started; however, the Hammers have been very benevolent to the University for many, many years.  To multiply their gift at this time (prior to the end of the April 30 fiscal year) is more than likely a deliberate act on their part.

Which reminds me...for those of you wishing to submit a gift to the University, you have two more weeks before the end of the month to make your gift count and multiply.  Please prayerfully consider the possibility and be obedient (whether it is nothing or a lot).

I had always wondered what the ties were. Thank you for clarifying it.

We have truly seen miracles during the last year!

All I can say is, WOW!  It is absolutely humbling to see how God has worked through man to bring ORU back from the brink.

And, getting rid of a couple of crooks didn't hurt either.