2010 schedule

ORUalum

Schedule stuff -- Next season's baseball schedule will look a little different with the absence of one rival (Oklahoma) and more games against another (Oklahoma State).

OU and WSU are not scheduled to play next season. Sooners coach Sunny Golloway said he is filling mid-week schedule spots with TCU and Arkansas, opponents he likes for their RPI potential.

Missouri and WSU are talking about resuming their series next season, WSU assistant coach Brent Kemnitz said. The schools last met in the regular season in 2001. WSU will play two games against Oklahoma State in 2010, one at each campus. The series with OSU was limited to one game a season the past three years.

It could be worse for the Shockers. Oral Roberts, located in Tulsa, does not play either OU or OSU this season. The Golden Eagles will lose Arkansas off their schedule in 2010.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/shockers/story/769934.html

OU, OSU and ARK....all chickens..... :wink:

There is no excuse (none) for the area schools not to play each other. For Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Arkansas not to schedule ORU is just wrong... and chicken. They believe the Golden Eagles would beat them - and we would. The worst is Sonny Golloway dodging us. Typical.

Sonny = Pathetic.... :-D

It could be the coaches' call not to play ORU, or it could be the athletic directors instead.  I would think that the coaches would want to play those games because I'm sure they each believe that their teams are better than ORU.

Especially because ORU doesn't sign many players from the state of Oklahoma, I would think that the coaches would want to play us and beat us.

It could be the coaches' call not to play ORU, or it could be the athletic directors instead.  I would think that the coaches would want to play those games because I'm sure they each believe that their teams are better than ORU.

Especially because ORU doesn't sign many players from the state of Oklahoma, I would think that the coaches would want to play us and beat us.

I believe that there are various reasons for the teams not wanting to play us.  In Arkansas' case, I think that we have had some success against the Razorbacks and our RPI diminishes when we play in the League; therefore, if they are going to play lower-RPI teams to better their SOS, they would prefer to purposely play Western Illinios, UL-Monroe and other "cupcakes" instead of playing teams that have an equal chance of beating them (Rob prepares our players for these games).  In OSU's case, I think that there has been enough bad blood between these two teams that they don't like playing us competitively.  When we do get the upper hand in a game with the Cowboys, they tend to take it personally rather than believing that a mid-major could possibly be as good as them.  With OU, well it's just a matter of the history and relationship between the two programs.

Economically, it makes a lot of sense to play each other in this part of the country, but I don't think that the "big boys" want to help make it cost-effective to keep a "competitor" in their back yard.

AD's have little or no input on scheduling for baseball.

I would bet this is about the coaches at OU, OSU, and Arkansas all three fearing there is more to lose than gain by playing ORU.

They're probably all afraid Rob will eventually get one of their jobs.

Big wusses...  :x

Amen....+1 for OT...... :wink:

AD's have little or no input on scheduling for baseball.

I would bet this is about the coaches at OU, OSU, and Arkansas all three fearing there is more to lose than gain by playing ORU.

Big wusses...  :x

Well poo poo on them.  What about KU, Nebraska, Misouri, K-State?  Same deal?

Chances are that he will if he wants it.  I have to believe that Rob would be considered for any job in the area and, if his success at ORU is any indication, he could do at OU, OSU, UoA or WSU what he does here.  Fortunately, he likes it here and has facilities that allow Rob to be competitive with his neighbors.  Now if we can just build a fan base for the only college baseball team within 75 miles.

Still not that much incentive to play either way besides for local fans.  It still wouldn't make that much more money money.  Chance to lose for any of the teams depending on the part of the week they play and the pitchers, meaning we always think we can beat the OU, OSU, Ark teams but without playing them it still leaves us an argument for who is better and vice versa. 

For OU, OSU, AR, etc. not to play ORU, at least midweek, for any reason, is arrogant, and downright stupid.  In my neck of the woods, Clemson, ranked this week at #19, regularly plays area low-to-mid majors Wofford, USC-Upstate, Winthrop, SC State, UNC-Ashville, UNC-Charlotte, as well as others.  If anything, they are good warm-ups for weekend conference series, and create local interest.  It makes sense geographically and economically.  Every now and then, one of these teams will beat a Clemson or South Carolina.  OU and OSU need to grow up. Punks.

The problem is they know they would lose. Especially in UO's case.

Chances are that he will if he wants it.  I have to believe that Rob would be considered for any job in the area and, if his success at ORU is any indication, he could do at OU, OSU, UoA or WSU what he does here.  Fortunately, he likes it here and has facilities that allow Rob to be competitive with his neighbors.  Now if we can just build a fan base for the only college baseball team within 75 miles.

I was out at JLJ last night with a friend who has gone to occasional games in the past, but has been going to almost every game this season, and he said he's become addicted to ORU baseball.  He said it's just so much fun to be out there at the games - funner than Drillers games, even.  I wish we could get others to recognize that fact, and fill the stands with fans like that.  ORU puts such a great product on the field, it's a shame that there aren't more there to enjoy it.

The problem is they know they would lose. Especially in UO's case.

Well, it is awfully short-sighted, small thinking of them.  They should play ORU, if anything, to promote baseball in the state.  Here in SC Clemson and USC are the big boys, but there are 9 other D-I schools in the state, and both teams always play several of them mid-week. I'm still an OU football fan, but their baseball program needs to grow  up.

I'm still an OU football fan, but their baseball program needs to grow  up.

That's not likely under their current leadership (or lack thereof)... :roll: