Eaglebacker: Your Post on the Valpo Board

vuperson

I saw it got taken down before I had a chance to print it out (yay censorship!) Could you repost it here so more people can get a chuckle out of it?

Guest EagleBackr

Flattery will get you everywhere - I'm happy to oblige. Here's the original post on the Valpo board that prompted my response:

I'm doing a story on the current state of Valparaiso's men's basketball program, and I'd like input from the readers of this Web site. If you'd like to respond, please send your name (I won't use anything anonymous), background with VU and feedback to jbreen@post-trib.com.

You can send anything, but here are some examples:

1. Why do you think the Crusaders have lost four straight games?

2. Where do you see the future of this program going?

3. What do you think will happen the rest of this season?

4. What do you like/dislike about going to Crusaders home games?

Thank you.

Justin

jbreen@post-trib.com

Here's my response that was removed:

Q: Why do you think the Crusaders have lost four straight games?

A: I'm pretty sure it was because the other teams scored more points than Valpo did.

Q: Where do you see the future of this program going?

A: I'm not sure, but I bet it all lies before them.

Q: What do you think will happen the rest of this season?

A: I predict Valpo's basketball team will take the floor in uniforms several nights in February and play basketball against teams in uniform from other colleges. At home, Valpo will wear white. On the road, they will wear gold. They will win some, and they will lose some. And sometimes, it will rain.

Q: What do you like/dislike about going to Crusaders home games?

A: Same answer on both questions: miles and miles of spacious bleacher seating.

Journalism much?

That was it - and they removed it! I find it ironic that a post that is not critical, profane or a personal attack is censored from the Valpo message board, yet the ultra-conservative, evangelical school's message board allows me to speak my mind. When exactly is the next book burning scheduled at the ARC? Seriously, my tongue-in-cheek answers are in direct response to the ridiculous wording and juvenile sentence structure of the questions posed. Am I really supposed to believe that a serious journalist for the Post-Tribune would ask a question that ends in a preposition? (see Question #2) Either this whole thing is a hoax, or the sports editor at the Post-Tribune needs to enroll Mr. Breen in a remedial English course...

If he had included your responses his article might not turn out as dry & negative as where he is headed now.

Guest EagleBackr

Here's the "warning" I received in the form of a personal message from the Valpo board administrator:

Eaglebackr,

Your response to the article questions was immature and rude. I have deleted it as these types of posts will not be tolerated. Continuing to post these types of messages will lead to a permanent ban from our forum.

valpo04

...and, here's my private message response back to him/her:

Actually, the QUESTIONS are what were immature! Go back and read them again with a critical ear (if that's possible), then read my post on the ORU message board for why I said what I said. My response was far more enlightening and, dare I say, informative than anything that ridiculously inept attempt at journalism is likely to inspire. As for banning me, my response was neither profane, critical nor off-topic. If you plan on being that Gestapo-like in administering your message board, then all you're ever going to get is mindless drivel and cheerleading. Have the courage to let voices from the fringe be heard, and trust that your board members possess the intellectual capacity to discern between that which is pertinent and that which is not. The ORU message board trusts its members that far - shouldn't you?

Ah, sunlight - the great disinfectant!!

While I think EB is often full of it, I must say I can't keep from liking him. He does make good points, and most importantly, often makes me giggle. And I'm not one for giggling, but he does it to me.

Here's the "warning" I received in the form of a personal message from the Valpo board administrator:

Eaglebackr,

Your response to the article questions was immature and rude. I have deleted it as these types of posts will not be tolerated. Continuing to post these types of messages will lead to a permanent ban from our forum.

valpo04

...and, here's my private message response back to him/her:

Actually, the QUESTIONS are what were immature! Go back and read them again with a critical ear (if that's possible), then read my post on the ORU message board for why I said what I said. My response was far more enlightening and, dare I say, informative than anything that ridiculously inept attempt at journalism is likely to inspire. As for banning me, my response was neither profane, critical nor off-topic. If you plan on being that Gestapo-like in administering your message board, then all you're ever going to get is mindless drivel and cheerleading. Have the courage to let voices from the fringe be heard, and trust that your board members possess the intellectual capacity to discern between that which is pertinent and that which is not. The ORU message board trusts its members that far - shouldn't you?

Ah, sunlight - the great disinfectant!!

Some people handle power differently from others. Power over others often instills lust for more and more of it. I didn't think your post was bad at all. I suppose there is a first time for everything. :lol:

Guest EagleBackr
Some people handle power differently from others. Power over others often instills lust for more and more of it. I didn't think your post was bad at all. I suppose there is a first time for everything. :lol:

This much I know: if satire was good enough for the ancient Greeks, Jonathan Swift, and Mark Twain; then I think it's probably OK for a college basketball message board! :wink: