Newest Golden Eagle...

ORob1

If you say it is a done deal then I will believe. Thanks , Bring out the Brats and lets celebrate :roll:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

• ORU GRAD

Cory Williams is a great recruiter, but don't forget that Tom Hankins deserves just as much credit.

Marchello looks to make as big of impact as Caleb & Tutt as a freshman...time will tell, or Monday's Tulsa World. I wish Blevins would post.

I'm not as familiar with the recruiting protocol as you, mom. Most of the time we hear about Cory in relation to recruiting success - like darrenj calling him "the closer". But Tom Hankins and even Conley Phipps may be very much a part of all this - we just haven't heard that, trickling out with the few things we hear.

My hat's off to all of the coaching staff for their recruiting successes this season.

Interested to hear more about Vealy. I'm curious how he will have the OPPORTUNITY to impact like the Dynamic Duo did their freshman season, given the fact the he's got them, Larry, Mickey and JB gobbling up minutes in front of him. Seems like it was an injury-ravaged first string that really gave Caleb and Ken a chance to shine their first season - hope we're not facing that again!

Alright, King's in the mix now too. So we've got 2 schollies left and 1 is going to the foreign JC guard according to the whispers.

What kinda player would you guys like to see us spend our last scholly on? Personally I'm hoping for a good 6'8" or up high school player.

I'd like a guy about like Jamel McLean that TU just signed - 6'8", 225. His coaches say he capable of adding 15-20 pounds of muscle without slowing him down any. I'd like another guy like that, a freshman, that can be learning and developing during the years of Shawn King.

Hey Adder, you, me and ORU Eli may be the only regulars on here not at the game tonight. I'm going for "A Ride With Bob".

Hey Adder, you, me and ORU Eli may be the only regulars on here not at the game tonight. I'm going for "A Ride With Bob".

Hey, Doc - don't forget about me - 'cause I'm definitely not at the game tonight! However, I'm frustrated, as I can't get the Buzz internet to work tonight. It plays five minutes of commercials, and then five minutes of dead air, but definitely no Golden Eagle basketball! Any advice, anyone???

My guess is that we might have been waiting for Shawn King to sign before signing a high school player like Haymaker. We need someone who can step in next year and contribute immediately.... hard to expect that a freshman could come in and make a difference - Tutt and Green excepted.

FYI - Drew Haymaker signed with Central Arkansas.

www.nwanews.com/section.php?paper=adg&section=Sports - 21k - Nov 11, 2005

Thanks for the info Blue.... I am hoping we can find a nice, athletic 6'9" post player. Should we wait until the late signing period to see if a kid emerges or gets skipped over by smaller schools or try to sign one this Fall? Sometimes having a scholarship available late can be helpful.

I thought of you, Blue, right after getting up from making that post - but was in too much of a hurry to go back and change it.

Went to see "A Ride With Bob", the life story of Bob Wills, as presented by Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel. Very enjoyable, but sorry to miss the game. Turns out that they added a matin?e performance tomorrow - I could have gone to that AND gone to the game tonight, but I didn't know it until seeing the program tonight.

Guest itsallabouttheflow

I can't remember who he signed with but I heard the other day that Haymaker signed with someone. It was a small Arkansas school, sorry that I don't have exact info. I don't think he is very good though, and with the talent ORU appears to be getting, I'm glad he went elsewhere.

I heard tonight that the foreign guard is all locked up and that the class could get much much better in the way of signing another big-man. Just what I am hearing... :wink:

I thought of you, Blue, right after getting up from making that post - but was in too much of a hurry to go back and change it.

No offense taken, tmh - I just can't wait for the season to begin!

It's official that we signed Shawn King. IT's a relief to know we have a quality big man for next season.

Eagles sign juco center

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

11/14/2005

Shawn King is ranked in the top 25 by a pair of Web sites.

Oral Roberts University has added a shot-blocking center to its latest recruiting class.

Two recruiting Web sites rated 6-foot-10, 220-pound Shawn King among the nation's top 25 junior college prospects.

King is averaging 25.5 points, 12 rebounds and 6.2 blocked shots through five games of his sophomore year at Carl Albert State College in Poteau.

He received first-team all-region honors as a freshman after averaging 11.5 points, 9.6 rebounds and 5.4 blocked shots.

ORU coach Scott Sutton said King was a key signing for the Golden Eagles, with 6-foot-11 Mickey Michalec in his last year of eligibility.

"It was very important for us to sign a big man with some experience that could come in and help us immediately," Sutton said.

"I don't think we could have gotten a better player for what we needed."

Sutton said King compares favorably as a shot-blocker with former ORU forward Kendrick Moore "and is more of a presence offensively."

Moore set ORU's career record with 197 blocked shots in two seasons (2001-03).

"(King is) a big presence on the defensive end for us," said Carl Albert coach Mike St. John.

"His offensive skills are a work in progress. Unlike most American kids, he didn't start playing basketball until he was 17. But he's very athletic, and I expect he's going to get better and better."

King also played soccer and cricket in his native Bequia, St. Vincent.

St. John said King also visited Nevada, UTEP, Utah State and Stephen F. Austin before choosing ORU.

Rivals.com's Juco Junction listed King as the nation's No. 25 junior college player and No. 6 center.

Hoopmasters.com rated King No. 19 among all junior college players.

King is ORU's third addition of the early-signing period, joining 6-foot-4 small forward Jeremy Hazell of the Bronx, N.Y., and 6-foot-2 guard Dominique Gaines of Muskogee.

I have heard that the other kid (foreign guard) should be announced shortly - leaving us with one last scholarship. My sources have told me we are definitely after another big man - and are recruiting some high profile players for that last spot.

Guest EagleBackr

Let me get this straight - we lost three seniors last year (Matt, Luke, and Andrew), and their schollies went to Marchello, Sylvester and Darrin. Andrew is back, but not on scholarship. We've already signed four for next year (Gaines, King, Hazell, Liberty) and you say we still are pursuing two other guys (foreign guard and another big man). That would make 6 new players. How is that we have 6 schollies to give with only five seniors leaving (Larry, Chris, Mickey, Eric & Jonathan)?

Liberty is already on scholarship this year and is not on next years' count.

If I understand right we have 5 to give and have 3 in the house. That leaves two more and one is taken with a Jr. College Guard that is a lock from inside sources. That leaves one left for a big man.I'm thinking S Thomas althought I'm not sure. We seem to have 13 on scholarship right now. :roll: