Centenary beats #18 Arkansas

MrsSmith

Centenary wins 8-3.  They play again tomorrow afternoon.

It looks like we have some competition in the Summit League.

I like it.  I like it alot. 

Lets get two bids this year.....

They can trash mid weeks for an RPI boost, but they aren't going to come in JJ and beat us. 

I would love to see CC get that RPI up.  Might help us get a better seed.....

I'm glad the CC series is at ORU this year, plus the conference tourney too.

How did CC get Arkansas to come in for 2 games?

I know it's early in the season, but CC is sitting with a #25 RPI, while ORU is at #20. Who would of thought?

I'm just glad CC is good for something

CC has some pitching.  I believe that is why they are competing on a higher level.  Pitching and defense win games.  Timely hitting is also key.

We should never take them for granted.  Boone Whiting, Justin Kraft and Dakota Robinson are very good pitchers.  Boone is the real deal.  He dominated #18 Arkansas.  It will be a great game to watch when he goes against our #1 at the time.  Our hitting needs to get better.  We can't always rely on the home run.  We need to use our speed, along with hit and run philosophy.  We don't have the same big bats that we had last year.  Also, our defense needs to improve.

CC has some pitching.  I believe that is why they are competing on a higher level.  Pitching and defense win games.  Timely hitting is also key.

We should never take them for granted.  Boone Whiting, Justin Kraft and Dakota Robinson are very good pitchers.  Boone is the real deal.  He dominated #18 Arkansas.  It will be a great game to watch when he goes against our #1 at the time.  Our hitting needs to get better.  We can't always rely on the home run.  We need to use our speed, along with hit and run philosophy.  We don't have the same big bats that we had last year.  Also, our defense needs to improve.

So, where is the speed on our team?  I would guess that Justin Mitchell has got to be the fastest - his speed is uncanny.  How about Danny Duffy?  Brendon really had wheels - how about his brother?  I usually think of the outfielders as the ones with the speed - is that pretty much the case this year?

My impression is that Rob Walton has a more conservative base running philosophy than Sunny Golloway did.

tmh

When it comes to speed, most people think of stealing 2nd base or how fast an outfielder can get to the ball.  To me, the most important aspect of speed is moving from 1st to 3rd ,from 2nd to home and from third to home on a sac fly situation.  A baserunner greatly improves his speed by developing and applying his gametime skillsets.  For example, I'll use round numbers for example purposes, lets say that Duffy is on first base and he knows that it takes him 3 seconds to go from a dead stop from his lead to second base.  If he studies his opponents pop time, he can use that to his advantage.  If it takes Sullivan 2.0 seconds to pitch to home plate and the catcher 1.5 seconds to make a sound throw to second, Duffy has a .5 second window.  Duffy must study where the defensive players are positioned, (they need to get to the bag to take the throw), he needs to study the pitchers habits,( does he look over once, twice and then throw home.  Does he like to throw without looking over, etc.  If our players become diligent students, we will be faster just by being smarter.  Going from first to third, where is the ball ?  How is the outfielder positioned when he gloves the ball?  Is he in a position to throw?  How good is his arm?  How many assists does that outfielder have this season. (Study the stats).  etc.  We have Danny Duffy, Martinez, Garewall has to have some wheels or he wouldn't be in the leadoff spot.  Even Seth has a triple.  Mitchell has wheels and if you noticed, he has been hitting lower in the order to set up scoring opportunites for the top of the lineup.  It appears that Walton has the lineup set up to score at least 1 run every inning.  Something he commented on while noting how the international teams play.  History shows that he will play small ball.  Runner on first and he will move the runner over with a bunt.  That's sound baseball.  However, he does have the option of mixing it up if Garewall gets on base. Martinez and Furmanek are contact hitters and the hit and run option can readily be executed.  There is nothing that can take a pitchers head out of the game faster than properly executed hit and run action.  Just my thoughts.  Sorry to be so long winded.

Thanks for your explanation - I love it!  Helps a baseball novice like myself learn more about the game, and what goes into it.

I've noticed that Justin usually bats ninth in the order.  I wondered about that - I'm not knowledgeable enough about baseball to know why he would be there - my impression was that he's the worst batter!!  I didn't think that was the case, but I didn't know why else he would be in that spot.

Your explanation makes perfect sense.  In one of the early games, I think against Western Michigan, Justin was on first, Duffy gets a double, and by the time Duffy is on second Justin is at home from first.  He just has amazing speed.  That's an example of what your talking about, right?

tmh,

Exactly! There is so much strategy in baseball that most people don't know about.  It isn't just throw the ball, hit the ball and run the bases.

I'm just learning about basketball, so I know what you mean.  In basketball, it's easy to observe a good shooter or a good rebounder and good defense.  But it is a real challenge to understand the strategy involved in the plays that are run.  There's a huge difference between Pro ball ( or ME BALL) and college ball (team ball).  I'm a fan, but could never play the game.  I have this uncontrollable notion to tuck the ball under my left arm and stiff arm my way into the end zone... er, eh, down the court. LOL

You used the term"contact hitter", which I have heard but didn't know the meaning of.  Being too proud to show my ignorance on the board (MANY would question that statement :wink:), I found an excellent explanation of it, as well as an excellent explanation of batting order, on Wikipedia.  It reminded me that in the past I've found Wikipedia to be a great source of information about baseball.

Here's the link to the batting order explanation.  It even mentions the situation you described with Justin batting ninth - he likens it to having a second lead-off batter.  Look it over, if you want to, and tell us if you agree with his description of each spot.

Great link!

You can read about all the fundamentals there.  I like it.

Perhaps I'll use the link to learn a little  more about basketball.

Remember it all starts with the basics.  Baseball is like a game of chess sometimes.  The manager is always thinking 3 or 4 steps ahead.

I know it's early in the season, but CC is sitting with a #25 RPI, while ORU is at #20. Who would of thought?

I'm just glad CC is good for something

22# for CC

20# for ORU...

woah doggy....we have an RPI booster!

22# for CC

20# for ORU...

woah doggy....we have an RPI booster!

Let's see who gets ranked in the polls first.  CC may get the Cinderella votes if they keep this up!

well, if we can get by DBU we maintain...if we get by Fullerton we advance into the polls....

CC has one more game with the Hogs today...and then returns to a crappy schedule with Jarvis Christian, Texas College, and Harvard being the next 7 games (3 against non d1's) so they need to beat the hogs...sweep the gimme's and trash northwestern (good team)...

You used the term"contact hitter", which I have heard but didn't know the meaning of.  Being too proud to show my ignorance on the board (MANY would question that statement :wink:), I found an excellent explanation of it, as well as an excellent explanation of batting order, on Wikipedia.  It reminded me that in the past I've found Wikipedia to be a great source of information about baseball.

Here's the link to the batting order explanation.  It even mentions the situation you described with Justin batting ninth - he likens it to having a second lead-off batter.  Look it over, if you want to, and tell us if you agree with his description of each spot.

I think its okay to jumble numbers 7-9 in the lineup to put a decent bat 9th, but you don't want to put a really good hitter 9th because you give up too many at-bats.  Its even dangerous to jumble  the bottom of the order because at the end of the game when outs are running out, you want your best available hitter up next in the lineup.

The Ark game at Cent was rained out and there is not a rescheduled date. This is most likely a good thing considering Cent doesn't have the pitching depth that Ark has. Ark would have most likely won this game and the Gents get away from this one unscathed.

An interesting article here by Aaron Fitz on Centenary's win yesterday and on Cal State - Fullerton's win at aTm. 

The series next weekend in Fullerton will be quite a task for the boys in Vegas Gold and Blue.

• 2 weeks later...