Does this sound familiar?

tmh8286

Post from the Valpo board this AM regarding Valpo's loss to IUPUI on Saturday - Valpo was up by 20 at halftime:

"I attribute the collapse to one thing.

You all might think I'm nuts, but the tide turned when Hunter turned on the press in the full court.

IUPUI was trapping VU like crazy and the boys couldn't handle it.

They'd dribble right into a corner and pick up the dribble.

Throw bad passes to get out of the trap, stuff like that.

It looked like they got so frustrated with that press that it just took their heads right out of the game.

If Homer can't adjust to a simple full-court press, then we're in trouble.

VU looked like a completely different team after that."

While for the most part I never really felt that the ORU/IUPUI game was ever in question, their full court pressure second half cut pretty deeply into our lead. This is apparently a favorite tactic of Hunter; hopefully when we play them at their place on Feb. 11 we are prepared for it.

How about this option - if we find ourselves in the lead in the second half, instead of letting them hit us with the press first and putting us on the defensive, we start pressing them first so that THEY are on the defensive. Maybe both teams play the last five minutes of the game pressing each other. It would make for an interesting finale. One way or another, we need to be prepared for that tactic. As time permits I'm going to see if I can find where they've used this strategy in other come from behind games.

I think the deep ball was open against their press at ORU everytime, but we never tried it. One of the best ways to break a press is to score some easy buckets off it.

ORU matches up well against IUPUI.... the Jags had trouble containing Larry Owens and his athleticism. We did have trouble against the press at the end of the game when we got careless - but handled it fairly well in the early part of the game. We had difficulty containing the dribble when they isolated particular players. The result was either a driving layup or a foul. The answer is to either have the right defensive players on the court to play man-to-man or switch to a zone to prevent dribble penetration.

IUPUI has stymied teams across the league using predictable techniques of full court press, isolation and dribble penetration. Changing OUR defense and preparing for their full court trap should put us in a good position to beat them on their own court.

Change to a zone to prevent George Hill from penetrating. Make them beat us with the three. Unfortunately, from what we saw at Mabee Center, they MAY be able to do that!

I still think that answering their press with a press would throw them for a loop. We know they can dish it out, but can they take it???

It's funny that a lot of pressing teams have trouble against pressure, You would think that since they practice against it all the time that they would tend to handle it better than most.