ORU-Centenary Game Observations

ORUTerry

1. We came out extremely lethargic and did not play with much enthusiasm for much of the first half. Centenary could not take advantage ? thankfully. We were burned repeatedly for layups off of backcuts by Centenary. They also were driving the lane almost at will.

2. Our bench provided a spark; Ehambe shot the ball well and so did Rouise. Chris and Eric did a good job on defense. Both had a couple of steals.

3. Larry Owens took the team on his back in the first half and carried them. He is a fun player to watch on both sides of the court. He presents a massive match-up problem with his athleticism and talent level. He was all over the court.

4. Wait a minute?. Could it be? Surely not? was that a zone defense we employed against Centenary? I thought I was going to fall out of my seat. The nice thing was that we looked good doing it; we were not passive but extended it out to the perimeter. We got several steals and tipped passes. The guys were communicating with each other the whole time. We have obviously been working a lot on this in practice. Nice to see.

5. Nice win?.. any win is a nice win. The first 15 minutes of the first half was troubling, but when the guys focused, they put Centenary away. We have got to learn to play the whole game ? all 40 minutes.

1. Sutton coached a good game. the second someone played bad defence he had someone up ready to check in for them.

2. Larry has got to be frustrated that nobody helps him . I noticed that when he wasn't in the game, nobody wanted the ball. it was a pass around drill. Caleb does help, but when caleb is scoring, Larry lays off.

3. Yemi started good, but fizzled

4. I truly believe as the only other shooting guard, the senior, Chris Riouse should start in Ken's place. He is shooting well and plays good defence.

5. The zone caught Cent totaly off guard (me too). It worked. Sutton is beginning to warm up to the idea of change.

6. Refs were embarrising. And i kept reminding them in the 2nd half how few calls they made in the first half

7. Centenary is going to win some games. they are athletic. I like that team. they are not there yet, but if they had a few more players, they would be good.

If we could get teams to intentionally foul us early in the first half we might blow more teams out.