Bootleg Live Stats 2-22-09

ORU-sisko

After four innings, WMU is up 4-1.  Burleson started and went into the fourth and is relieved by Freshman Drew Bowen from Tulsa Memorial.  WMU continues to show good pitching in this series.

Picked up two in the bottom of the seventh and had two on with one out (left them stranded).  Score now 4-3 with Chandler Griffen on in relief of Bowen.

Are you kidding me?.....a walkoff HR to give us the sweep over WMU?...what a weekend for ORU....ladies b-ball with a huge comeback win....mens b-ball with a rout at UMKC and now this....TheEagleman is speechless........ :-D :-D :-D

Fermanek delivers a walk off HR and good guys win 5-4!!

Thanks for the updates, Bogus.  Turned out to be a pretty nice day for baseball, didn't it?  Not too cold, as long as you're in the sun, and little wind.  Much better than yesterday.

Very good day for the good guys today.  Decent crowd - about 200 - 300 people.  I wish that we could draw more from the Tulsa community, but...

After the first weekend, this is what I came away with: Our pitching is strong - starters are very good and our bullpen has some depth.  I was really impressed with the freshman, Drew Bowen today.  Threw very strong.  Others coming out of the bullpen, Jameson Dunn and Mark Serrano, were impressive and Chandler Griffen also threw well.  Still haven't seen Stephen Barnes and Brett Carroll who made contributions to the team last year.

Hitting was a pleasant surprise this early in the season.  Seth seemed to stuggle at the plate the first two games, but had a triple and "the HR" today to come away with a memorable series.  PJ Seequeria and Johnny Roberts add a lot to the lineup and Justin Mitchell, Danny Duffy and Juan Martinez add some speed on the basepaths.  Colby Price, playing 3B in today's game, had a nice double down the left field line that helped in the 2-run seventh inning.

Only had two errors during the weekend, which bodes well for the defense; however, I think that everyone is still learning their roles and more gametime situations will be needed for all of the new guys to feel comfortable in the confines of JL Johnson Stadium so that it doesn't feel so much like a new ballpark to them.  Justin Mitchell had a "Web Gem" diving catch in CF this afternoon that was impressive, too.

Overall, a nice weekend sweep over a quality Division I opponent.  This sure beats hammering against a Missouri Southern or even our own conference brethern.  I'm sure that Rob is going to have a lot of material to go over with his guys after a series like this to correct errors that he noted during the weekend.  It will be interesting to see if we play D-II teams in future years if Rob can schedule a D-I northern tier school like this.

For those that are in the area, I'd highly recommend coming out to see the UTSA series next weekend.  There should be some quality ball played against a quality team.  Saturday will be an ideal day where we can see a baseball game at 2:00 with Jerry Sullivan pitching, tailgate (outside JLJ and walk to the Mabee Center??) after the game and see a spectacular basketball game at 7:00 to celebrate our Seniors and hopefully clinch the Summit League regular season championship.

Great Game!  GO EAGLES!  I was unable to follow the game today. Just catching up with the boxscore.  Nothing like a sweep to build a little confidence.  Drew  Bowen - Oh man are we going to have a really great pitching staff.  Hopefully, the cold weather will be behind us and the guys can pitch free and easy.  UTSA will be a worthy opponent.  Hopefully they are overconfident and will be looking past us.  THAT'S  WHEN THEY WILL LEARN WHAT THE PHRASE: SNAKEBIT MEANS.  LOL.  Can't wait till next week.  Hopefully we can follow next week via live stats. 

For those that are in the area, I'd highly recommend coming out to see the UTSA series next weekend.  There should be some quality ball played against a quality team.  Saturday will be an ideal day where we can see a baseball game at 2:00 with Jerry Sullivan pitching, tailgate (outside JLJ and walk to the Mabee Center??) after the game and see a spectacular basketball game at 7:00 to celebrate our Seniors and hopefully clinch the Summit League regular season championship.

I was looking at the schedule, and after the third game of the UTSA series (March 1), we don't play another home game till March 28.  So we go almost a month without any home games.  That's as another reason to come out and see the Eagles play next weekend.