Pitching at a premium for ORU - Tulsa World (2-20-2009)

ORUTerry

Pitching at a premium for ORU 

20090220_orubase0220.jpg

ORU preseason All-American Jerry Sullivan was 9-2 last season with 108 strikeouts and three complete games, but he called it an average year. Cory Young / Tulsa World file

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

2/20/2009

Last Modified: 2/20/2009  4:04 AM

(excerpt)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who are the top returning players? What are the season outlooks? We have previews on Oral Roberts, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma at tulsaworld.com/collegebaseball

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andre LaMontagne is a new man, a new pitcher, thanks to the healing properties of sand and surf.

"It was pretty nice," LaMontagne said.

LaMontagne is down for opening-day duty on Friday when Oral Roberts University starts the 2009 college baseball season with a three-game series against Western Michigan.

The 6-foot-4, 195-pound senior from Santa Maria, Calif., transferred to ORU last year from Long Beach State with lots of expectations, but a sore right shoulder held him back all season. In 14 appearances (seven starts), LaMontagne went 2-2 with a 7.71 earned run average with 27 strikeouts and 22 walks.

"I had a really rough year last year," he said. "I'm looking to make up for that big-time this year."

LaMontagne had a productive summer in Kenai, Alaska, going 2-3 with a 3.00 ERA and holding opponents to a .190 batting average. But his real improvement came after taking a few weeks off and just getting some rest......

Link to Tulsa World Sports Extra

"I'd go work out and go lay on the beach, bodyboard and that sort of thing," he said. "That was probably actually good for me. Swimming, too."