TW "Don't Count ORU out"

wakeflip1

Why do I get the feeling from the way that's worded that John just doesn't follow the Golden Eagles all that closely?  Like an occasional glance at the W/L record and the conference standings give him about all the info he needs for his columns?

Yeah, there's at least one extra modifier in there.  Clearly, the Eagles are already a "serious contender to win the Summit League."  They are also a "good bet" to win the league. 

Saying they're a good bet to be a contender makes them sound like Oakland (assuming he's talking about the tournament).

This article was written in January and was published in its entirety in the print version the day after TU lost to Tulane on the road (can't remember exactly when that was, but remember reading this then).  Something has been modified in the text and has been given a new date of 2/5/09 on their website.  Pretty stale article, but TW's way of recycling their words as new.

This falls right in line with the b.s. Klein was spitting out on the radio (1430) when I was forced out of rehab to call and set the record straight a few weeks back.  He is speaking conservative common knowledge and trying to pass that off as his own personal insight to the program. It's obvious he is a TU, OU and OSU homer, whoever is winning or hot at the time. He's trying to now act like he's been an ORU fan all along, because we are on a roll. We don't need Klein on the bus.

I'm sensing a lot of negativity here toward the Tulsa World sports staff.  I would say that the sports writers have been kind to ORU over the last few years, and on the radio today John Klein spoke well of ORU saying that they are playing really well right now.  I'm not sure what you want them to say, but perhaps we are parsing words a little bit too much.

Now once you venture away from the sports page, I have some issues with the Tulsa World, but overall I think the sports writers have been good to ORU, including front page of sports section headlines for significant games.

They aren't criticizing the amount of coverage, but the lack of actual knowledge.  Klein isn't going to write something that comes as a surprise to any of us.  You can pretty much predict what he will write about us if you attends a game and we win.

"ORU Looking like a Tournament Team"

"Eagle's Could be Dancing in March"

You could probably look at the archives and find basically the exact same article three or four years in a row.

I don't harbor any negativity towards the TW, maybe John Klein.  As I said, he mentions ORU now because we are hot.  Three weeks ago, all he wanted to talk about was TU and how they may be the "team to watch" in Oklahoma and how great Jerome Jordan was.  He's reporting on stuff that everyone will soon find out anyway, which just means lazy and ignorant coverage.