Whitt Signs National Letter Of Intent With ORU Track And Field

ORUalum

Whitt Signs National Letter Of Intent With ORU Track And Field

TULSA, Okla. – Oral Roberts University head track and field coach Joe Dial announced Wednesday that Jack Whitt has signed a national letter of intent. Whitt, a 6-5 senior from Norman, Okla. (Norman North HS), will start competing for the Golden Eagles in the 2009-10 season.

Whitt was named ESPN’s Southwest Region Athlete of the Week on Jan. 14 after being named the 2009 High School Boys Pole Vault Summit Champion, posting a 17-00 vault and then followed it up with a second win at the Arkansas Invite, clearing 16-04. Whitt is ranked No. 1 in the nation amongst all high school boys for the indoor 2009 season and holds a personal best vault of 17-02.75. He was named the 6A Oklahoma State Champion in 2007 and 2008 and he is also undefeated in competition so far this year. Last year, Whitt won the USATF Junior Olympics in a jumpoff at 16-08.75 and he posted the third highest vault in the nation amongst all sophomores in 2007. At the beginning of this season, he was the No. 1 ranked returning high school pole vaulter in the nation. 

“Jack is the best pole vault talent I have seen in my coaching career,” Dial said. “I am excited to have the opportunity to coach him for the next four years.”

Whitt will be joined by several others signing with ORU, which will be announced later today at www.orugoldeneagles.com.

http://www.orugoldeneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=3662469&DB_OEM_ID=17000

“Jack is the best pole vault talent I have seen in my coaching career,” Dial said. “I am excited to have the opportunity to coach him for the next four years.”

Pretty impressive!

future NCAA champion?

Jack Whitt Pole Vault 17.01 1/2 from 7 lefts

Jack Whitt Pole Vault 17.07 try for a Indoor National Record

Pole vaulting is kind of like gymnastics to me - I don't know how guys do those things with their bodies!

• 4 weeks later...

Jack Whitt Breaks Joe Dial's state outdoor record

• 3 months later...