Uncanny parallels between this ministry . . .

tmh8286

. . . and one we're all better acquainted with.  I attended Schuller's church occasionally with my elderly grandmother, before the Crystal Cathedral was built - in the drive-in portion.  You just pulled into the lot, and watched service through huge open windows in the side of the building.  You just tuned your car radio to the appropriate signal to listen in . . .

Televangelism Empire In Chaos Over Family Split

+1 great article.

It's very interesting to see the evolvement of the televangelist ministries market. It's one that will have to evolve and shift if it has any hopes of staying relevant and profitable....

I believe the Schullers have also sent some of their children to ORU for their education....

I'm sure there are many more ties than we are aware of between the entities.

Rob Schuller III was a classmate in some of my marketing classes. Nice guy. Randomly saw him preaching at the Crystal Cathedral via KGEB when I was in Tulsa about a year ago. I don't necessarily agree with all the doctrine and methods of their church, but I've met Schuler I, II, and III and all of them seemed like very kind, genuine people and I'm sorry to hear that they've hit hard times.

I think the "megachurch" movement and glitzy glamour of the evangelical movement has two major obsticles today that weren't as much prevalent 10 years ago...I think with public perception of people like Haggard, Pat Robertson, Benny Hin and even RR that the big megachurches now are stuck with the burden of proof among potential givers and members that they are organizations of substance and genuine Christ-centered motivation and then they also obviously have a significant economic recession to cope with as well.

I'd have to agree. There has been too much negative publicity towards tv engalism. It's a shame though. Even the most genuine ministries are affected by the misconception. Yet, I know God has something great prepared for the ones who just stay obedient.

again...I sound like a broken record but that's why I am such a propoenent of Dr. Rutland after knowing of him for such a short time...The guy is polished like a tv evangelist but he has a genuine "real"-ness (that's not a word but I'm going to use it anyway) that RR did not convey to people. He's just real...that's the only way to describe his speaking style and perspective. When you hear his testimony of his struggle with alcoholism (well into his adulthood and ministry years) and then his transition over the years to where he is now, it just gives him so much credibility. On top of his experience presiding over a university that transformed itself over the course of 10 years, I have no doubt in mind that public perception (especially among Tulsans) of ORU in 2009 and public perception in 2019 will be worlds apart.

I watched the sermon he gave at chapel on Friday and at the end he prayed the benediction in Spanish - as well as English. Nice to have someone who is bilingual at the helm.

The guy is impressive.....

It is on my DVR..... I taped it Friday morning.

Maybe the school can put it on the web site. I don't know how to transfer it from my DVR to tomy computer..... I am technically challenged.

Preaching a "feel good", the "powers is within you", "health & wealth", or "prosperity" gospel is like building a house on sand.

But, people like to hear it. Makes them FEEL good. It amazes me that MOST of these guys RARELY/NEVER teach Christ and him crucified. Even less about sin and the "ugly" stuff.

Of course, that message has never been real popular. Unfortunately, over 95% of stuff on TV nowadays is a VERY poor representation of TRUE Christianity.

Gotta get back to SOUND DOCTRINE.

How true Voice..... tickling ears and all that stuff.

The Gospel, while being 'good news', is not a real crowd pleasing message.

I watch RR and others and wonder if they ever thought about changing the whole thing and just get back to teaching God's Word?

I'm sure if you asked them, they would think they are preaching true christianity. That's the state of the situation.

I'm sure if you asked them, they would think they are preaching true christianity. That's the state of the situation.

So, you really think when a televangelist spends his entire show, asking for money, saying that he has 'words' from God about 4 people with migraine headaches, performs songs, and EVERY scripture he speaks about gets taken into the "God wants you healthy and wealthy", that he TRULY believes he is "preaching the gospel"?

I don't buy it. These guys are WAAAAAY too smart. They know. They choose to do what they think will bring in the most money. Period.

I know it is not popular, but these guys NEED to be CALLED OUT, by us. It is our duty as Christians to EXPOSE false teachers and false teachings. We have been quiet far too long.