Mark Rutland - A TW Editorial (1/31/09)

Bogus Smith

Mark Rutland

by: World's Editorial Writers

Oral Roberts University has a new president, and, we hope, a new direction.

The school introduced Mark Rutland, who has been president of Southeastern University for 10 years, as its new president on Wednesday.

Rutland — a former pastor, evangelist and missionary — is a personable and talented man who seems to have the school's Christian mission at heart.

"It's a historic day for us," Mart Green, chairman of the ORU board, said Thursday.

Mark Rutland - An Editorial

Whether the school can go from its exuberant beginning to become a permanent fixture in the Christian education world will largely be determined by Rutland's efforts. The whole community stands hoping those efforts will be honest, effective, prayerful and successful.

The Tulsa World offers him its welcome, its support and its encouragement, but also its scrutiny of the school's future activities.

It will be interesting to see if ORU has to do things TW's way to get their encouragement.  Their track record doesn't necessarily give me "warm fuzzies", but maybe this is a new beginning for the TW in their relationship with ORU, too.

I don't think Mart Green, Dr. Rutland or the ORU community will look for the Tulsa World's approval of the direction for the school. I suspect that we will have better coverage but will never have a close, warm relationship.

Our world views are too divergent.

I don't think Mart Green, Dr. Rutland or the ORU community will look for the Tulsa World's approval of the direction for the school. I suspect that we will have better coverage but will never have a close, warm relationship.

Our world views are too divergent.

I agree, Terry.  As a Christian organization/intity it's unlikely we'll EVER get full approval from the Tulsa World.

I agree, Terry.  As a Christian organization/intity it's unlikely we'll EVER get full approval from the Tulsa World.

And if we DO have their full approval, we're probably doing something WRONG. :roll:

What a great time to be affiliated with ORU...

And I hope people will be confident enough to be ok with that.

It will be interesting to see if ORU has to do things TW's way to get their encouragement.  Their track record doesn't necessarily give me "warm fuzzies", but maybe this is a new beginning for the TW in their relationship with ORU, too.

Although I didn't state it clearly, I was surprised that the Tulsa World was offering their encouragement.  I agree with the sentiments here that our agendas are totally different and that their "encouragement" will come with strings attached and a melding of agendas, which I don't see happening either.

The Tulsa World offers him its welcome, its support and its encouragement, but also its scrutiny of the school's future activities.

how noble of the TW, but where was the TW's scrutiny of the previous administration?  rumors of misuse of funds and abuse of power by RR and his wife were a constant on the campus.  it took multiple lawsuits for the TW to look into their activities.  i'm glad green has brought in sweeping changes in governance and a new board to bring better accountability. 

so while the TW editorial board is patting itself on the back by offering support, encouragement, and scrutiny i hope they realize what a poor job they did scrutinizing the previous regime.

how noble of the TW, but where was the TW's scrutiny of the previous administration?  rumors of misuse of funds and abuse of power by RR and his wife were a constant on the campus.  it took multiple lawsuits for the TW to look into their activities.  i'm glad green has brought in sweeping changes in governance and a new board to bring better accountability. 

so while the TW editorial board is patting itself on the back by offering support, encouragement, and scrutiny i hope they realize what a poor job they did scrutinizing the previous regime.

++++1111111111

Great post.

If we and our leaders conduct ourselves in a proper manner, with integrity and honesty, I think you'll find most people will respect us and treat us fairly.

That whole claiming to be SUPER SPIRITUAL, while living like the DEVIL, tends to draw the ire of people, for some strange reason...