USD getting closer to the Summit

ORU Big Brother

"In a press release distributed after the league announced it would be visiting USD, officials estimated 177 separate meetings would take place. Douple said it ended up being more like the low 180s."

180 meetings??

I'm surprised to learn there's even 180 people in Vermillion, South Dakota.

Maybe they all commute.  :wink:

Population 9,765 but that includes the college population. So when you take out the college crowd there is just under 500 people in Vermillion. Now if Brookings was wise, they would add the college population to the total population making Brookings have a population of 30499.

Vermillion is a dump, in the true sense of the word. There are trailer parks around their all serving DakotaDump, where they play almost all of their athletic contests. Although they have played several of their basketball games at the local high school. Can't make this stuff up. They bussed from Vermillion to a football game against a Division II school in South Carolina.

Their campus security allowed their fans into the locker rooms during the last SDSU-USD women's game and they proceeded to take a #2 in the showers. Not too classy.

**End Rant**

Population 9,765 but that includes the college population. So when you take out the college crowd there is just under 500 people in Vermillion. Now if Brookings was wise, they would add the college population to the total population making Brookings have a population of 30499.

Vermillion is a dump, in the true sense of the word. There are trailer parks around their all serving DakotaDump, where they play almost all of their athletic contests. Although they have played several of their basketball games at the local high school. Can't make this stuff up. They bussed from Vermillion to a football game against a Division II school in South Carolina.

Their campus security allowed their fans into the locker rooms during the last SDSU-USD women's game and they proceeded to take a #2 in the showers. Not too classy.

**End Rant**

"Hey, could somebody please tell all these pale, blonde-headed kids to go pick a fight in their own front yard??"  :lol:

"I will say this," he (Tom Douple) said, "There were six or seven schools that have submitted letters of interest to us, and this is the only place we're visiting."

-----------------------------------

If one of the "six or seven schools that submitted letters" happened to be the University of Denver and they were passed over for USD I WILL TEAR MY HAIR OUT!!! But I guess that's our commish.

"Hey, could somebody please tell all these pale, blonde-headed kids to go pick a fight in their own front yard??"  :lol:

Just wasting some time echoing ORU BB's thoughts :mrgreen:

"I will say this," he (Tom Douple) said, "There were six or seven schools that have submitted letters of interest to us, and this is the only place we're visiting."

-----------------------------------

If one of the "six or seven schools that submitted letters" happened to be the University of Denver and they were passed over for USD I WILL TEAR MY HAIR OUT!!! But I guess that's our commish.

Well I think this is a move to 12 teams so I wouldn't count Denver out even if USD gets in.

Guys, the other team is bound to be North Dakota - they just have to get their nickname resolved before anyone's going to touch them with a 10-foot pole.  (Must....resist.....temptation....to make....."totem pole".....joke.)

I think Denver moving to the Summit would be an excellent move for them.  Hockey, women's gymnastics and maybe lacrosse are the only sports at DU that are consistently respectable and national competitors.  Hockey is a whole different league anyway and their basketball team just plain sucks...they are consistent bottom feeders and would be far more competitive in the Summit...

I think Denver moving to the Summit would be an excellent move for them.  Hockey, women's gymnastics and maybe lacrosse are the only sports at DU that are consistently respectable and national competitors.  Hockey is a whole different league anyway and their basketball team just plain sucks...they are consistent bottom feeders and would be far more competitive in the Summit...

I can see the press release now:

" . . . and, in a effort to expand on the successes of it's Summit Plan, the Summit League is pleased to announce that it has added the University of Denver, a consistent bottom feeder in Division I basketball, to it's member institutions.  The Summit Plan seeks to advance the league to one of the premier midmajor conferences in the country. It focuses on student-athlete welfare, academic performance, increased home attendance and improving the league’s rating percentage index (RPI) in all sports."

Brother :roll:!!!

Hey, easy now - I would take Denver in a heartbeat, just for the city.

Think of the roadtrips!  How cool would it be to hold the baseball tournament there - when we played guys like Oakland, we'd have 10 homers a game in that air.

Hey, easy now - I would take Denver in a heartbeat, just for the city.

Think of the roadtrips!  How cool would it be to hold the baseball tournament there - when we played guys like Oakland, we'd have 10 homers a game in that air.

I'd take Denver - I was just playing off of TS8's description of them as "bottom feeders" :wink:.

DU is a bottom feeder in basketball, however, I think they would be middle of the road in the Summit.  DU as a bottom feeder is also debatable, however, I'm basing my opinions off of the local support, types of athletes they get, etc.  I just see them as having Summit caliber players vs. Sun Belt (in general).

They are currently 7-11 and lost to UL-Lafeyette and beat South Dakota St.

Unfortunately, DU doesn't have baseball...so a conference tourney in Denver would be out of the question, unless Northern Colorado also joined...which isn't going to happen as they recently joined the Big Sky.

DU is a bottom feeder in basketball, however, I think they would be middle of the road in the Summit.  DU as a bottom feeder is also debatable, however, I'm basing my opinions off of the local support, types of athletes they get, etc.  I just see them as having Summit caliber players vs. Sun Belt (in general).

They are currently 7-11 and lost to UL-Lafeyette and beat South Dakota St.

Unfortunately, DU doesn't have baseball...so a conference tourney in Denver would be out of the question, unless Northern Colorado also joined...which isn't going to happen as they recently joined the Big Sky.

Bummer!!

TitanSoccer is right about Denver. The whole reason The Sun Belt is pushing them out is due to the fact they don't field enough sports. I would still take them due to their large market status over a Centenary or another Dakota.

Pretty impressive facility. At first glance it looked more like a Hoosier crowd.

I still support the idea of bringing in OKC. If ORU plans on staying in the Summit, then OKC should be a given. That would allow traveling teams convenient scheduling, and not to mention a great in-conference rivalry for ORU.

I'm confused...if USD's facilities are a joke...is this not a pic of their home court? Doesn't look like a bad place....

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/images/gallery/dome/fullsize/big_crowd_shot.jpg

When I think of Joke facilities this comes to mind....

385946689_16be5984bf.jpg?v=0

USD's arena is a far cry from that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olton_hall/sets/72157594528531697/