Women: UMKC at Oral Roberts - TW (1-23-2006)

ORUTerry

Women: UMKC at Oral Roberts

By LYNN JACOBSNE World Sports Writer

1/23/2006

When: 7:05 Monday

Where: Mabee Center

TV: None

Radio: KCFO 970

UMKC (6-12, 4-3 Mid-Con)

Pos. Player Ht. PPG RPG

F Stephanie Brown 6-1 11.4 8.5

C Liz Obrecht 6-1 5.3 5.8

G Brittny Picconi 5-10 18.5 3.2

G Jowan Ortega 5-8 8.9 3.7

G Sammi Knapic 5-8 7.5 3.3

Oral Roberts(8-8, 2-3)

Pos. Player Ht. PPG RPG

F Jenny Hardin 6-3 9.9 4.0

F Elisha Turek 6-1 17.1 7.6

G Rachel Watman 5-8 5.8 2.0

G Marianna Camargo 5-11 7.5 *3.3

G Leah Cannon 5-7 5.9 *4.3

*Assists per game.

Game notes: UMKC enters having won four of its last six games.

UMKC is led by Brittny Picconi and Stephanie Brown, who average 18.5 and 11.4, respectively.

ORU looks to snap a three-game losing streak before going on the road for two games later this week.

Elisha Turek leads the Golden Eagles with a 17.1 scoring average.

The game features two of the top guards in the conference in Sammi Knapic of UMKC and Leah Cannon of ORU. Knapic ranks third in assists, sixth in steals and fifth in 3-point field goals.

Cannon already owns school and conference records for assists.

Overall series: This is the 33rd meeting. Each has 16 victories in the series.

Big game tonight, to see if we can get off the snide. I will be there rockin' it hard in the pep band. Is it just me or does anyone else love the way Marianna Camargo plays. I think she drives the basket better than any female player I have ever seen. Basically, she plays like a man. Hope there will be a huge crowd to cheer on the ladies.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was.

Well the crowd was not that big. It was a good thing though because I'm not sure if they would come back if they only saw us tonight.

We are starting 3 freshman (Hardin, Watman and Camargo) and it shows. They are all very good, but somehow we are not getting the job done.

UMKC had about 20 lbs on us at about every position. They couldn't miss - shot over 50% from 3.

Hopefully the Eagles will put it together in March again.

How can losing a key player to injury change the ORU team that ran Wichita State off the court to one that now struggles on every occasion? I know Katie was a great defensive player, but it seems like other things make the team much different now. Coach Fink said earlier that ORU can't win the league by playing a half-court type game, so he opted for up-tempo full court action with subsitutes of five players at a time. Can losing one player cause such need to change the style from the only potential way to compete in the league to playing the same style the other teams in the the league do, but obviously not as well? I really liked the uptempo, and thought it wa successful and fan friendly. Looked to me like a pinball machine in action.

Changing systems halfway through a season is a big adjustment, hopefully it's one that they're making now that they've had a few games under their belts with it.