ORU: Three Questions with Dominique Morrison (TW 1-19-09)

MrsSmith

ORU: Three Questions with Dominique Morrison 

By MIKE BROWN, World sports writer

1/19/2009

Last Modified: 1/19/2009  3:54 AM

Position: Small forward

Class: Freshman

Height: 6-6

Weight: 205

What's the biggest difference between high school and college basketball?

I would have to say defense. In high school, not everybody had the same athletic skill as you, so you could get away with a lot of bad technique. It's not that way here. I can't just come down and body somebody and lay it in. That's not happening. Somebody's going to be stronger and more athletic and able to block your shot.

The team traveled thousands of miles over the past two months. What's the most interesting thing you saw?

Puerto Rico was like a different world. I'd never really seen that kind of (poverty). Nobody ever imagines being poor, but I don't want that to happen to me or anybody in my family. So I took it to heart that I need to work hard every day.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/article.aspx?subjectID=95&tab=oru&articleid=20090119_95_B5_hThree955718

The team traveled thousands of miles over the past two months. What's the most interesting thing you saw?

Puerto Rico was like a different world. I'd never really seen that kind of (poverty). Nobody ever imagines being poor, but I don't want that to happen to me or anybody in my family. So I took it to heart that I need to work hard every day.

I'm impressed with Dominique's reply to this question.  He could have gone in a lot of different directions but his response shows a lot of maturity and wisdom (for a freshman).

Does senior guard Kelvin Sango get enough credit for the role he plays?

While he doesn't score a lot, Sango thrives on the less-glamorous parts of the game. He inherited Yemi Ogunoye's role as a defensive stopper and is fourth in the league with 33 steals. He also knows how to get the ball to Marcus Lewis, and is second on the team with 37 assists.

4th most steals in the league and 2nd most assists on the team.  Sango makes a lot of contributions to this team and he may be a little underappreciated.  Maybe point guard by committee will work out after all.

4th most steals in the league and 2nd most assists on the team.  Sango makes a lot of contributions to this team and he may be a little underappreciated.  Maybe point guard by committee will work out after all.

Then again, maybe that's the reason he's starting now . . .