66ers

Golden Boy

Took my eleven-year-old son and a couple of his friends to the 66ers' game tonight...an interesting event that featured the visiting Rio Grande Valley Vipers running out to a 31 - 16 lead after one quarter and extending it to a twenty-five (25) point margin mid-way through the 3rd quarter before Tulsa mounted a fierce comeback (with Ogunoye and Ehambe on the court during much of the rally) only to ultimately fall short at 104 - 100...

A few ORU "celebs" were in the stands...the legend Glenn "Smitty" Smith and Faculty Athletics Representative Terry Unruh among others with ORU connections.  Overall an enjoyable night and if nothing else it was fun to watch three (3) former Golden Eagles run up and down a little bit and former OU Sooner Keith Clark, who is an absolute stud (17 pts and 15 boards tonight).

Great post, Rob.  I'd love to get to a game - I need to get their schedule.  Tonight wouldn't have worked, but hopefully sometime soon.

Great post, Rob.  I'd love to get to a game - I need to get their schedule.  Tonight wouldn't have worked, but hopefully sometime soon.

well with all due respect to Eagleman and his Eagles, if you don't care about the NFL playoff games on Sunday the 66ers play again at home...3 PM tip off.  They'll be home again Jan 30 & 31 for a two game series against Austin (coached by former Dukie and Mizzou head coach Quin Snyder).

I heard the 66ers' coach interviewed on sports radio this morning and he commented that in addition to Yemi begin strong defensively, he is really improving his ability to score beyond what he did at ORU.  He said that there are always NBA scouts at the NBDL games and they are impressed with Yemi and see his as a "Bruce Bowen" type of player.

He also spoke highly of Moses and his dependability from 3-point range.  He didn't say much about Adam Liberty.

Yemi could probably make the Thunder or the Knicks....the Knicks can't even spell defense...... :-D

I heard the 66ers' coach interviewed on sports radio this morning and he commented that in addition to Yemi begin strong defensively, he is really improving his ability to score beyond what he did at ORU.  He said that there are always NBA scouts at the NBDL games and they are impressed with Yemi and see his as a "Bruce Bowen" type of player.

He also spoke highly of Moses and his dependability from 3-point range.  He didn't say much about Adam Liberty.

Probably explains why A-Lib doesn't get much run, especially compared to the other two former Golden Eagles.  I will say that seeing them play last Friday night in person, Adam has definitely thickened up in his upper body and if/when Yemi does the same he might have an interesting upside to follow as far as his professional future.  Yemi just still seems "weak" compared to the other guys on the court which makes it even more remarkable how well he's actually been playing for the Sixers...

I saw that Yemi has started almost every game and is averaging 38+ minutes a game with 7.5 points, 1.2 steals and 4.4 rebounds.  Also shooting 44% (11-25) from 3pt land.  He's "up to" 210lbs on his 6'9" frame as well.  I'd say if he can stay as quick and pesky on defense and put on another 15lbs of muscle in the next year or two, he may get a shot at an NBA roster.  If not, he could at least go make quite a bit of money in Europe.  He played all 48 min. on Sunday

Moses seems to be pretty streaky.  If he starts out 0-4, 1-6 or so early in their games, it looks like the coaches don't give him many more minutes that particular game but if he starts hot, like the first home game of the season that I was at where he shot 7-10 from 3 and scored 26pts or on Sunday when he played 31 min and scored 19 they will give him the PT.

Has this link already been posted?

Former ORU Stars Now Shining with Tulsa 66ers

Posted: Jan 19, 2009 10:40 PM

Updated: Jan 20, 2009 04:39 PM

I told myself, ‘I'm never going to play in the D-League,' I proved myself wrong. This is who I am and I'm glad I'm here," said 66ers forward Moses Ehambe.

All three have yet to see the floor at the same time during a game. For them, playing together again would be a snapshot worth keeping.

"You know everybody and you know the fans coming to the game. It's just a real comfortable feeling. It's family," Ogunoye said.

By Kyle Dierking, NewsOn6.com

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=9699618

Yemi just still seems "weak" compared to the other guys on the court which makes it even more remarkable how well he's actually been playing for the Sixers...

Is that based on you seeing him play?  I've been to one game and thought he played and belonged on the court at the 3 position.  He would be weak compared to a 4 or 5 but not as a 3 or 2, in my opinion.  I think Yemi is doing very well and excited to see the future for him. 

Is that based on you seeing him play?  I've been to one game and thought he played and belonged on the court at the 3 position.  He would be weak compared to a 4 or 5 but not as a 3 or 2, in my opinion.  I think Yemi is doing very well and excited to see the future for him. 

No don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased for Yemi AND ORU that they have a guy playing significant minutes and making an impact in pro ball.  My point is, and if you ask ORU's strength coach I'm guessing he would confirm it, that Yemi's not naturally a "strong" guy.  So it's actually pretty remarkable that he's playing at as high a level as he is considering his lack of physical strength.  My comments were in no way intended as a diss on Yemi at all, rather a compliment for his achievement as well as to point out too that his upside could be really good the stronger he can become.  Make sense?

Strength is a big deal in some areas... but when it comes to a small forward it's not always a must. Think Kevin Durant. I've heard that when the guy got to Texas he couldn't even bench 150.