Valpo swept on road trip

TrueBlue82

Southern Utah completes the "Kone-less" sweep of Valpo's current road trip. ORU's 2-0 record on the CSU-SUU road games sure looks golden now!

I was just having that same conversation with ORUTerry - we were lucky to have those road games behind us, and to have escaped both with wins.

It's interesting to see how the Mid-Con race is shaping up. It is increasingly appearing as though the road to the Mid-Con Championship will be through IUPUI. Valpo is by no means out of the race yet - if they get Kone back, and they can regain their composure, they're as dangerous of a team as there is in the Mid-Con.

But currently, IUPUI appears to be Public Enemy #1.

Guest EagleBackr

...I keep thinking back to some of these prognostications from different Valpo fans earlier this season:

? Kone is a future lottery pick who will, in his own words, "pretty much dominate the Mid-Con".

? Valpo might go undefeated through the conference schedule and end up with a 30-4 record.

? Southern Utah is a "one-hit wonder" who lucked into a conference championship a few years back and is otherwise unfit for Mid-Con membership.

Of course, I'm the one who predicted just two weeks ago Valpo would go 13-3 in conference, and we would be fortunate to finish fourth! The Mid-Con just gets wackier every year, and I think I know why: too many coaches have been at these schools for too many years, and they've all figured each other out. The level of talent may ebb and flow from season to season at each school, but the bottom line is NO one is safe on any given night in this league!

...I keep thinking back to some of these prognostications from different Valpo fans earlier this season:

? Kone is a future lottery pick who will, in his own words, "pretty much dominate the Mid-Con".

? Valpo might go undefeated through the conference schedule and end up with a 30-4 record.

? Southern Utah is a "one-hit wonder" who lucked into a conference championship a few years back and is otherwise unfit for Mid-Con membership.

Of course, I'm the one who predicted just two weeks ago Valpo would go 13-3 in conference, and we would be fortunate to finish fourth! The Mid-Con just gets wackier every year, and I think I know why: too many coaches have been at these schools for too many years, and they've all figured each other out. The level of talent may ebb and flow from season to season at each school, but the bottom line is NO one is safe on any given night in this league!

The one about SUU hasn't been proven wrong yet, EB.

Good points otherwise, though.

It's interesting to see how the Mid-Con race is shaping up. It is increasingly appearing as though the road to the Mid-Con Championship will be through IUPUI. Valpo is by no means out of the race yet - if they get Kone back, and they can regain their composure, they're as dangerous of a team as there is in the Mid-Con.

Actually, I think the road to the Mid-Con Championship runs through TULSA! I think ORU is in a very strong position right now, as I believe the remaining schedule favors the Eagles over IUPUI, and Tutt's return can only help the team. And, while I agree that Valpo (with Kone) is a dangerous team, I believe their chances of a regular season title are slim and none. They would likely have to win out to do it, which includes road games at ORU, IUPUI, and UMKC (not gonna happen).

However, if we're talking about the Mid-Con Tourney (which are the only three games that really matter), then yes - Valpo (with Kone) is VERY dangerous, especially since they would come to the UMAC with a huge NCAA-sized chip on their shoulder.

Right now it's just posturing for seeding...and ORU and IUPUI are poised for taking the first round byes as the #1 and #2 seeds assuming that they take care of business on the road and are able to handle things at home.

Once you get to the Tournament, all bets are off. UMKC has had ORU's number, Chicago State has had Valpo's number, so on and so on. There are a number of upsets that can keep the expected winners from advancing on.

When it comes down to the three games in March, the teams with the most focus, the healthiest team and the biggest desire to put their opponent away late in the game will be the ones advancing in the Mid-Con Tournament and eventually playing in the first round on March 16 or 17. As it stands currently, I don't see anything more than one post-season bid out of our conference (NCAA/NIT) based on our OOC and RPI results.

You mentioned "first round byes as the #1 and #2 seeds". There are not first round byes. The advantage is that the #1 & #2 seeds have to win Sat, Mon, Tues, but the #3 & #4 seeds have to win Sun, Mon, Tues. That day off in the middle can be huge.

However, if we're talking about the Mid-Con Tourney (which are the only three games that really matter), then yes - Valpo (with Kone) is VERY dangerous, especially since they would come to the UMAC with a huge NCAA-sized chip on their shoulder.

Bingo! But I also think that IUPUI has the potential to be a tough team to beat. As I pointed out in an earlier post, is was only after shooting a near-record FG percentage in our home game against them that we were able to win. At home. They at least are a team to keep an eye on.

Bingo! But I also think that IUPUI has the potential to be a tough team to beat. As I pointed out in an earlier post, is was only after shooting a near-record FG percentage in our home game against them that we were able to win. At home. They at least are a team to keep an eye on.

In a related note, judging purely by track record so far in the conference schedule, IUPUI is the school with the best chance of a double-tourney win in Tulsa. Nothing new for the men, but the Lady Jags are really making a name for themselves this year.

You mentioned "first round byes as the #1 and #2 seeds". There are not first round byes. The advantage is that the #1 & #2 seeds have to win Sat, Mon, Tues, but the #3 & #4 seeds have to win Sun, Mon, Tues. That day off in the middle can be huge.

DC, I stand corrected. Wrong terminology for a point of showing an advantage to the first and second seeds. Each team still has to play three games (no one team gets any less games), but the first two seeds do get a day off on Sunday to go pray for the next two wins. :lol:

DC, I stand corrected. Wrong terminology for a point of showing an advantage to the first and second seeds. Each team still has to play three games (no one team gets any less games), but the first two seeds do get a day off on Sunday to go pray for the next two wins. :lol:

That would be a wing and a prayer for the eagles. :P