Layoffs made... from Dr. Fagin

Mike Minyard

To the ORU Family:

Today is a difficult day for the university.

We have notified 53 people of their inclusion in the reduction in force. In addition to those employees, 40.5 unfilled positions have been eliminated. The 53 current positions, comprised of four faculty positions and 49 staff positions, represent 5.8 percent of the total work force at the university. The reduction will improve the school’s economic sustainability by reducing the annual operating budget by $3.5 million.

The staff members whose positions were affected by the reduction in force were relieved of their current job duties but will continue to be employed by ORU for 60 days.  These individuals will continue to receive their current salary and benefits during this time as they search for other employment opportunities. After the 60-day period, hourly employees will receive an additional 10 days of transition pay and salaried employees will receive 20 days of transition pay.

Faculty members whose positions were affected by the reduction in force will teach for the remainder of their contract period this academic year. They will be paid 20 days of transition pay at the completion of their contract period.

ORU has retained MBC Associates of Tulsa to provide comprehensive career and job placement services to all employees included in the reduction in force.  These services, which include assistance in resume writing, interviewing, networking and job search, are designed to assist employees in achieving a seamless transition to future employment opportunities.

The reductions were made in various departments and functional areas within ORU. The number of majors and degrees offered by ORU are not impacted and ORU will continue to provide its students with an outstanding, whole person education.

We value the years of service that these individuals invested in the university. Please pray for the departing employees and their families.

In Christ,

Dr. Ralph Fagin

Interim President

OralRoberts University

There's no easy way to handle something like this but I think Dr. Fagin and ORU are taking very good care of those affected. Best wishes and prayers go out to those laid off as I know from personal experience its a daunting reality to face, but sounds like ORU has done the very best it can to give them some cushion to fall back on, which I really respect.

I agree, Eli. The fact that we even have a letter explaining the details of what is going on and that it's posted on the homepage of the university is a major indication of the cahnge that has occured.

Also, reading the letter really gives you the impression that ORU is doing everything in its power to transition the released employees with class and dignity.

I agree, Eli. The fact that we even have a letter explaining the details of what is going on and that it's posted on the homepage of the university is a major indication of the cahnge that has occured.

Also, reading the letter really gives you the impression that ORU is doing everything in its power to transition the released employees with class and dignity.

+1