tmh8286

Reeves transfers to ORU

Ex-BAHS golfer eligible immediately

By DOUG QUINN

Sports Editor

dougq@baledger.com

Published:

Friday, January 9, 2009 11:39 AM CST

Crystal Reeves is a second-semester college freshman and the Broken Arrow High School graduate still is playing golf.

Starting this week, Reeves has a new address – Oral Roberts University.

Reeves transferred to ORU in December after one semester at Texas A&M University.

Reeves cited health reasons for leaving the Big 12 Conference school but wouldn’t discuss her decision.

“I am looking forward,” said Reeves, who won the Oklahoma Class 6A medalist title last spring. “I am excited about being at ORU.”

Reeves will be eligible this spring season after A&M “gave me a complete release” after one semester.

She picked ORU – the defending Summit League champion – by “following my heart. I know this is where I should be.”

It makes twice Reeves has turned down the University of Tulsa.

She had committed to TU as a junior in high school but followed then-coach Trelle Combs to A&M.

“I left a good team there (A&M) and I know ORU isn’t as glamorous,” Reeves said. “I love A&M and miss the friends I made. This is going to be a fresh beginning for me.”

On Sunday, Reeves moved into her ORU dormitory where she will be roommates with long-time pal Christy Carter.

Read More

doc4964d6854094d115595071.jpg

Wow!....she's a cutie....but does she have a short game?.... :-D

My son said he saw her at the ORU game Saturday night.  She must be a sports fan, too!

The printed version of the paper had a different picture of her that was equally attractive.

Coach Watson is really excited to have her in the golf program now.  The women's golf team could have a good year on a national level.

• 1 year later...

This is the first I had seen this post, so I apologize for the late reply. We were driving in the car when Crystal was speaking to Doug Quinn of the ledger so I heard her end of the conversation. When condensed to "I know ORU is not as glamorous", it sounds totally different from what she said. What she said was probably too lengthy for him to print, but was pretty much exactly this. I know ORU may not seem as glamorous, with all the A&M facilities, but ORU really has some great players right now, and she went on to tell him about the girls on the team, and how underrated she thought they were.

Now, currently, if all the talent ORU has can just play well at the same time, they have a chance to be a very special team. Please support these young athletes, (men & women) because they are practicing in some terrible conditions, and facing big funding cuts, from what we have heard. That is sad when both teams won conference championships, and the Ladies could own the women's golf record with 13 conference championships in a row. (They are tied with DUKE at 12)

This is the first I had seen this post, so I apologize for the late reply. We were driving in the car when Crystal was speaking to Doug Quinn of the ledger so I heard her end of the conversation. When condensed to "I know ORU is not as glamorous", it sounds totally different from what she said. What she said was probably too lengthy for him to print, but was pretty much exactly this. I know ORU may not seem as glamorous, with all the A&M facilities, but ORU really has some great players right now, and she went on to tell him about the girls on the team, and how underrated she thought they were. Now, currently, if all the talent ORU has can just play well at the sme time, they have a chance to be a very special team. Please support these young athletes, (men & women) because they are practicing in some terrible conditions, and facing big funding cuts, from what we have heard. That is sad when both teams won conference championships, and the Ladies could own the women's golf record with 13 conference championships in a row. (They are tied with DUKE at 12)

Welcome, Golfdad, we appreciate your input!! Doug Quinn is a friend of mine, we always talk ORU sports when I see him, and I'm sure he meant no disrespect to the program with what he said. His effort to condense the conversation just came out a little differently than Crystal may have intended. No harm done. I'm very glad to hear that Crystal is glad to be at ORU. I can tell you that WE are glad to have HER!

I'm on the Golden Eagle Club Board of Directors, and as such I am well aware of the tremendous pressure that the athletic department is operating under with regard to funding. Unfortunately, all of the individual programs are facing cuts - and these no doubt hurt some programs, particularly those considered "Tier 2" more than others. Hopefully, with time, some of the financial stresses that are effecting the whole university right now will improve. For right now, there's got to be a whole lot of belt-tightening until things begin to turn around.

Thanks so much for posting today - I hope you'll keep us updated with your insider's perspective of how the season is going with the golf teams.

Oh, Doug is a good friend of our family, and of course he just shortened what she said. No family in BA loves Doug more than us. His coverage is a big part of the improvement of golf in Broken Arrow. On the note of funding, I don't think any parent of a golfer would have a problem pledging an amount to cover equipment for their player. I know we would help. We are big fans of all sports, and have loved attending Men's & Women's basketball this year. Have a great weekend!

Hey, I had that quote first! ;) Or, at least I did... what happened to my tag line?

I think the sports programs are going to have to be creative and work to develop fundraising/donors.

I saw it on a History website, but who knows, maybe Churchill borrowed it also. I agree that creativity will be needed. Really it does not cost much to fund tennis & golf. They just don't produce any revenue either.

Well, I think a rising tide lifts all boats - no, wait, ORUTerry claims that one as well.

Come on, Terry, leave some cliches for the rest of us!!