Independant Schools Form New Alliance

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

Courtesy my ol' buddy "rlh" on the Valpo board: link to an interesting article regarding several independent schools forming a scheduling alliance for next season, including common opponents of ORU, Valpo and other Mid-Con schools. Seriously, I wouldn't mind scheduling these guys in November and December if we need the games. I mean, do we REALLY need to get our brains bashed EVERY game before the conference season starts by a BCS school?

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060119/SPORTS0202/601190338/1002/SPORTS

EB:

I usually agree with most everything you say but in the case of SDSU, NDSU, IUPUFW, NJIT and who ever else...I would pass on them. We have nothing to gain by beating them and it could be a setback if we were to somehow lose. Remember Stephen F. Austin? (Sorry TMH).

I also had the honor of being in Ita Bena, Mississippi a few years back for the Miss. Valley State game. We won but it was a lot closer game than the score showed. ORU was glad to get out of there with a win. So If I had a vote in the matter, I'd rather play Minnesota and Oklahoma than NJIT and Ft. Wayne.

Rob

Guest EagleBackr

...I think we're kidding ourselves thinking we might beat a bunch of big boys on the road in non-conference to build up our RPI for an at-large bid if we lose in the Mid-Con Tourney. We ain't going to the NCAA's if we lose the Mid-Con tourney in our own home town - period. The best way for us to make a splash nationally is to actually WIN the Mid-Con tourney, make some noise in the Dance (ala Sweet Sixteen), then start the next year 12-2 or something like that. For that to happen, we need only sprinkle in a couple of BCS schools in November and December, go to a good holiday tournament, and schedule patsies for the rest. It worked for Valpo this year (until they started playing the Mid-Con!!)...

We may have to agree to disagree on this one...

Dont forget, it's our OOC schedule that is getting the credit for improving our team and preparing us for, not the Mid-Con, but quality teams we'll see IF we can win the conference tourney. I just think we lose credibility with a weak schedule, and I think our guys would rather play in quality venues against quality teams. I also feel it helps recruiting in two ways; recruits find it exciting to know they're going to play the big boys and it puts ORU in position to POSSIBLY play on TV in some larger markets, so it helps our name recognition.

Maybe I'm crazy....but that's how I see it.

Rob