Greg and I.

oruvoice

When I enter the Mabee Center before home games, usually around 6:15, I pick up a roster and sign the 'sheet' so I get paid for announcing. This path takes me by the visitor's dressing room. Generally, you see a couple of asst. coaches running around, looking busy. Occasionally, I'll see the head coach and he is looking VERY stressed with a thousand things on his mind.

Last night however, as I got within 20 feet of the Oakland dressing room, Greg Kampe gets a wry smile on his face and make a b-line directly for me with his hand extended. He quips, that after last years tourney, that he was surprised that ORU kept me around and asks if I'm still doing that 1-2-3 'crap'.

I told him that I was getting one more year to make it to the dance and if we didn't make it they'd replace me.

As if a brief greeting and joke weren't enough, he starts asking me about what I do for a living, if I travel alot, and several other questions. We conversed for a FULL five minutes.

Also, during the game as usual, he talks to us at the scorer's table and cracks jokes.

Many of you had your own experience with Greg at last years tourney, but I wanted to reiterate again what a nice guy Coach Kampe is. In an environment where I've witnessed a lot of 'jerks', Kampe is truly one of the "nice guys" in college basketball.

Thanks for sharing your true feelings, Voice in our open and trusting environment. Now everyone, let's all join in for a verse of "Kum by ya"

I previously posted about the experience that several of us had during the Mid-Con championship game last March: Kampe had a running conversation with us (we were on the baseline) before, DURING & after the game. He a truly nice guy. I saw him before the game last night, and to my surprise, he remembered me and we had a nice conversation. In fact, I broke of the conversation because I was uncomfortable thinking he should probably be doing soemthing else.

I am actually going to be traveling in Michigan on February 9th when ORU plays Oakland next.... I will try to make it to the game if possible.

I previously posted about the experience that several of us had during the Mid-Con championship game last March: Kampe had a running conversation with us (we were on the baseline) before, DURING & after the game. He a truly nice guy. I saw him before the game last night, and to my surprise, he remembered me and we had a nice conversation. In fact, I broke of the conversation because I was uncomfortable thinking he should probably be doing soemthing else.

I am actually going to be traveling in Michigan on February 9th when ORU plays Oakland next.... I will try to make it to the game if possible.

I got to talk to Kampe for about 15 minutes at the ARC on January 2nd, which was great. Then when he moseyed out of the locker room for the 2nd half at Macomb, I yelled, "Hey coach!" He looked up and said, "Man, you're everywhere!" We chatted for a couple of minutes then too.

My own take is that he lives on the edge when it comes to this stuff, but somehow he makes it work. It doesn't seem like a good idea for him to be SO familiar with average fans like that, especially during a game, but it's his career not mine, so it's his prerogative.

down at the mid-con last year, during the oakland women's first round game, kampe sat and talked to me and the other valpo students (all 4 of us) that were there for almost the whole game...

and it was not just about oakland or vu bball...just about life and everything...

the coaching world needs more people like greg...

TheFreak