ORU Notebook - Tulsa World (1-20-2006)

ORUTerry

ORU Notebook:

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

1/20/2006

Watching, waiting:

Junior guard Ken Tutt said he isn't agonizing over the right foot injury that has caused him to miss the first three games of his college career.

"I'm taking it as it comes. Injuries are part of basketball. I can't dwell on that. It's already happened. I have to sit out, and I'm just sitting back and watching my teammates, watching how they play," Tutt said.

"When I come back, I'm going to play that much harder. This injury has made me sit back and think about things in a whole new perspective because I've never been injured before. I'm watching how everybody moves on the court, and think it's going to help me when I come back," he said.

Tutt, a two-time all-conference honoree, was averaging 14.1 points per game when he injured his foot against Western Illinois on Jan. 7. He is expected to return the last week of February.

In the groove:

Senior guard Jonathan Bluitt has been putting in extra work in the practice gym shooting jump shots the last week. He said his class schedule has given him more time.

Bluitt's extra work has paid off with 7-of-13 shooting and six 3-pointers the past two games and back-to-back double-digit scoring games

for the first time this year. He had 12 against Oakland and 15 in Saturday's win over Indiana-Purdue.

Sidelined again:

Senior guard Andrew Meloy watched in street clothes after irritating his right knee during practice this week. Meloy played his first game Saturday against Indiana-Purdue since injuring his knee at Northern Colorado on Dec. 11 and undergoing arthroscopic surgery.

Helping hand:

Senior center Mickey Michalec is a good high-post passer, but Larry Owens saved him from a turnover in the first half. Michalec's pass from the right wing seemed headed for no one in particular, but Owens raced through the lane, grabbed it and dunked it before Oakland's players reacted.

"(Michalec) said thanks for saving me," Owens said.

Michalec did a little of everything -- five points, five rebounds, three assists and two blocked shots.

Preview:

Bluitt said he plans to grow his hair back to the length it was before he shaved his head prior to the Valparaiso game on Jan. 9.

"I just wanted a fresh look to start the new year," Bluitt said. "Actually, I wanted to give my girlfriend a glimpse of what I'll look like in five or 10 years, because I know I'm not going to have this hair forever."