Latest on search for a new president...

Mike Minyard

I received this today in my student e-mail account....

Dear ORU Family,

The Presidential Search Committee met this past Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 2 and 3, interviewing prospects, discussing presidential leadership capacities, and praying for Divine guidance. After hours of deliberation, the Committee has not yet felt the Holy Spirit's leading that they have identified the person God would have be ORU's next president.  Bruce Dingman, the Presidential Search Consultant, will continue to diligently search for the next president of ORU. We covet your continued prayers and suggestions for qualified candidates.

Mart Green

Board Chair

ORU Board of Trustees

Today we received a letter that most of you probably received as well from Oral, supporting the changes at ORU and asking for support of the university matching program - Renew the Vision.

I was glad to see him do that.

I'm glad to see that they're not just settling with whatever is in front of them. The right person for the job is out there, and I will continue to pray for Dingman and the search committee as they continue this process.

• 4 weeks later...

Another e-mail came out on Jan. 5th...

The Presidential Search Committee will be meeting in early January to interview a candidate.  Based on a successful interview and committee recommendation, the Board of Trustees will initiate a series of meetings and interviews the last week in January to coincide with the regular meeting of the board.  It is our hope to be able to elect the president at this meeting.

I've got nothing.  But I haven't tried very hard to get the scoop.  They wanted to keep it quiet from the beginning and I'm doing my best to follow that plan.

Thanks.... I know they have kept it close to the vest. I really wasn't thinking you or anyone esle would know - or tell us specifically.

Latest campus e-mail...

After meeting and interviewing this weekend, the Presidential Search Committee is excited about a potential candidate becoming the next President of ORU.  After further reference checks are made and evaluated, the candidate and spouse will come to campus to attend the Board meeting the last week of January.  The Board of Trustees will then vote on the candidate. 

I'm going to start another thread if we want to play rumor mill

I heard George and Laura will soon have a lot more free time on their hands...

I heard George and Laura will soon have a lot more free time on their hands...

And they've already had a lot of experience as president  . . .

Thanks for the updates, Mike!

That is very exciting news. I got the impression that Dingman must have really felt like he struck gold when he came back to the committee so quickly with a new candidate. Now that the committe has approved, it looks like ORU could be swearing in its 3rd president very soon! It may be tougher keeping the lid on things as we get closer to that board meeting.

Here is some big news that I got in an e-mail just moments ago...

ORU Presidential Search Committee Recommends Dr. Mark Rutland

Oral Roberts University had a meeting of the Presidential Search Committee on January 10, 2009 and the committee has chosen a candidate to recommend to the Board of Trustees. Dr. Mark Rutland is the candidate being considered for the top post at the university. He is currently the president of Southeastern University in Florida.

Rutland will come to campus to attend the Board meetings the last week of January. Prior to the Board meetings, Rutland will also be meeting with a number of representatives from various university stakeholder groups. The Board of Trustees will then vote on the candidate.