Valpo's Kone did not play tonight....

ORob1

Evidently he and Valpo are being investigated about how he arrived on campus. He possibly either accepted cash or transportation at some point. I'm hearing this as I'm listening to the Cougars put it on 'em. It's been a GREAT night!

Rob

Thought this was pretty interesting. As of 10:20 pm EST, Yahoo Sports messed up and was posting the following reversed score. I guess Homer is in charge of Yahoo, too! :D

Valparaiso.......31....58....89 0:31

Chicago St.......41....33....74 2nd

Jacoby D Dickens Center (Chicago, IL)

Evidently he and Valpo are being investigated about how he arrived on campus. He possibly either accepted cash or transportation at some point. I'm hearing this as I'm listening to the Cougars put it on 'em. It's been a GREAT night!

Rob

I'd be shocked to find out Homer is cheat! Shocked!

Guest Rob Marshall
Final: Chi State 90 - Valpo 76

Saw Oppland had 12 at half. Box not available yet. Amazing upset in the Mid-Con tonight.

As funny as this may sound at first, I want to point everyone to Scott Sutton's comment following our win at Chicago State where he said the Cougars were "a talented team" and their gym was a "tough place to win." Might have seemed a bit overly gracious of Scott at the time, but perhaps that and our win at Southern Utah (big winners over WIU at home tonight) are turning out to be "nice" road wins in the league.

I stand by my prediction that we have a great shot at finishing Mid Con regular season play at 14-2 or possibly 13-3. Getting a healthy and healed up Ken Tutt back for the conference tournament would be a fantastic boost too!

I guarantee you that IF they are being investigated, and IF the NCAA does find something, it is probably for something like a Valpo alum offering Kone a ride from the airport and buying him a sandwhich from McDonalds on the way to campus. The NCAA's regulations can be a joke sometimes. After getting suspended so much, I can remember Tiger Woods talking about how that was a major reason he left Stanford early.

Guest EagleBackr

What's that German term the Valpo fan used in a previous post to describe glee at someone else's misfortune? "Schaden-something-or-other". Just curious...

The Kone situation involves his flight from Florida to register at VU. I don't know anymore than that, and no one is saying anything. That's about all we know...however, Homer made the decision (along with the AD) not to play him tonight. It had nothing to do with the NCAA saying anything. Until this is solved, Homer just thought it best for his team. The problem is that no one knew until we were at Chicago State and the players didn't know until they were in the locker room....That's not an excuse, we got our butts handed to us tonight, but it might explain why we seemed so down early in the game.....More will be announced as soon as it's available....

Valpo press release from 1/19:

KONE STATEMENT

Statement on Valparaiso senior center Mohamed Kone issued by director of athletics Mark LaBarbera and men?s basketball coach Homer Drew:

?We have been informed by the NCAA of questions regarding Mohamed Kone?s travel to Valparaiso University to enroll as a student, and we will be holding him out of tonight?s game in an effort to maintain his eligibility in the future. We are unable to comment further on the situation until it has been resolved by the NCAA.?

Valpo in shock

Crusaders fall at Chicago State

BY JOHN O'MALLEY

CHICAGO | With several pieces to its puzzle missing, Valparaiso couldn't solve Chicago State Thursday night.

The Cougars (3-14, 2-4) gave the Crusaders (11-5, 4-2) all they wanted and more in their Mid-Continent Conference game at the Jacoby D. Dickens Center.

Valpo played without three of its top six players and paid dearly by dropping a 90-76 decision to Chicago State before 3,332 fans.

The major loss was starting center Mohamed Kone, who sat out the game pending an NCAA investigation regarding his travel to Valparaiso to enroll as a student. Shawn Huff (broken left foot) and Jimmie Miles (viral illness) also weren't available.

The Crusaders were hurt big-time by Kone's absence, getting outscored 38-24 in the paint.

"We coaches know how important Moe really (is),'' VU coach Homer Drew said. "Just his presence on the court is just so important, because of his size, his defense and his blocking shots.

"With him in there, it would have been wonderful. We'd have gotten some rebounds and we would have been able not to give them layup, after layup, after layup. He does such a good job of protecting the inside for us.''

The Crusaders shot only 36.8 percent and were outscored from the free throw line 29-16.

Chicago State placed five players in double figures, led by guard Royce Parran's team-high 20 points.

"We're very disappointed even though three of our top six players weren't playing,'' Drew said. "We were very disappointed in our play. We played combinations that we've never had a chance to even practice.

"You have to credit Chicago State. They came out from the very beginning and they didn't miss a shot. We couldn't rebound the basketball. We didn't play defense very well. We just played catch-up all night long.''

Chicago State had lost 12 of its last 13 games coming in, while VU had won six straight.

Ron Howard scored 15 of his game-high 23 points in the second half to lead Valpo. Seth Colclasure made a career-high six 3-pointers for Valpo and finished with 20 points, while Dan Oppland added 13.

"We came out flat,'' Colclasure said. "We couldn't get a rebound and we looked sluggish. I don't know what it was, but they played with great energy. You could see it on the court. It was obvious from the very beginning who wanted it more.''

The most amazing part of the article above...... 3,332 fans in that gym??? Are you kidding me? If that is true, I imagine that 3,000 of them were Valpo fans - making it a quasi-home game for the Crusaders.

The most amazing part of the article above...... 3,332 fans in that gym??? Are you kidding me? If that is true, I imagine that 3,000 of them were Valpo fans - making it a quasi-home game for the Crusaders.

perhaps 332? 450 if you count the marching band chic. state brought in from Proviso East HS to make the gym look full.

oh, and their PA guy has got to go. I drove home with a migraine (2/3rds from the PA, 1/3rd from watching us play). OBNOXIOUS.

I thought it was a typo.... our radio announcer said the approximate crowd size at our game with Chicago State was 220 - including about 50 family members of Eric Fowlkes who is from Milwaukee. The 220 included bank members, ushers, etc.

vucru, I love your signature (I know you've used it a long time). You shoulda been here last night . . .

Then again, you probably saw the same thing where you were :( .

Guest EagleBackr

...cases like these a lot of times involve some sort of "handler" of the student-athlete, especially when it involves international players. These guys operate in the shadows, usually in the guise of a former amatuer or AAU coach, a "family friend", etc. and they are for all intents and purposes professional agents - they ride the coat tails of the player all the way to the pro ranks, hoping for a payoff then. My (wild) guess is Valpo didn't do the deed; the "handler" did by paying for the plane ticket. Where Valpo suffers is in not knowing about it, or worse, knowing about it and looking the other way. If Valpo can prove the plane ticket was an isolated incident and can get it properly paid for, they may all get off with just a slap on the wrist. But if this "handler" (and I'll bet money there is one) has provided other illegal benefits to Kone along the way, Kone may lose his remaining eligibility and you'll see Valpo trying to distance themselves from him and the "handler" as much as possible to avoid forfeiting games or having the NCAA investigate them in full force...