Re: Sixers Open 2008-09 Play

Bogus Smith

Looks like the three amigos have made the final roster for the Tulsa NBDL Team.  I guess I'll have to make a few games to cheer on our former players as they work on making their goal to the NBA.  With the condition of the Thunder this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our guys in a NBA Thunder uniform this season on a 10-day contract...the Thunder need A LOT of help!!

Sixers open 2008-09 play

by: GLENN HIBDON World Sports Writer

Tulsas 66ers coach Paul Woolpert said his team played "pretty well in spurts'' during a 100-89 NBA Development League preseason loss to Iowa on Nov. 21. With the shooting starting for real this weekend, the coach is eager to see if his team has progressed.

"We learned about what lineups play well together and which ones don't. We tried to impress upon them to play well for 48 minutes,'' said Woolpert, taking over the reins for Joey Meyer this season. "We played well in the first and fourth quarters. Unfortunately, the middle part of the game was lacking.''

The Sixers open their 2008-09 D-League season with a trip to Rio Grande Valley Friday night, then go to Austin on Saturday before returning for their first home game in the new SpiritBank Event Center on Dec. 5.

Tulsa cut to its season-opening roster on Wednesday, releasing guards Russell Carter and Andres Sandoval. Making the cut was returning big man Chris Ellis and guard Jeremy Kelly. Ellis led the Sixers with 16 points in the loss to Iowa with ORU product Moses Ehambe collecting 15 off the bench and Derrick Dial 14.

"Hopefully, defense will be one of our strengths,'' said Woolpert. "Our inside defense will be solid, but we can shoot the ball better as a team. I think we will improve as the season progresses. Our offensive execution should also be better, but I've thrown a lot at them. They have a lot to digest.''

Woolpert said he was pleased with the 66ers' effort as they prepare to meet the Vipers under new coach Clay Moser. Rio Grande Valley defeated Austin 77-70 in a preseason game with Stanley Asumnu scoring 13 points and Kendall Dartez 10. Austin also dropped a 120-104 decision to Colorado in another exhibition outing.

"I'm not sure what to expect from them (the Vipers) under their new coach,'' Woolpert said. "Austin has Quin Snyder back (as coach) with some of the same players that played in the finals last year. We've seen them on DVD and they look like another good team.''

In the meantime, the Sixers are still awaiting the arrival of 6-foot-9 forward Mikheil Berishvili from the Republic of Georgia and the health clearance of former Booker T. Washington star Ryan Humphrey. Woolpert said he's unsure when the duo will join the team.

"There is a lot of red tape getting him (Berishvili) here. It's not just a flight you get on,'' Woolpert said. "I basically defer to the medical staff (on Humphrey). They want him to get more strength in his leg. He's had two surgeries and he's not where they would like him to be. They prefer he goes through more rehabilitation. Mentally, he's more than ready to play.''

Humphrey started scrimmaging with the team on Wednesday.

66ers Season-Opening Roster

Center: Steven Hill, 7-0, 245, Arkansas.

Forwards: Chris Richard, 6-9, 245, Florida. Moses Ehambe, 6-6, 200, ORU. Antoine Jordan, 6-5, 205, Siena. Keith Clark, 6-8, 242, Oklahoma. Yemi Ogunoye, 6-9, 210, ORU. Chris Ellis, 6-9, 265, Wake Forest.

Guards: Jeremy Kelly, 6-5, 205, Tennessee-Martin. Derrick Dial, 6-4, 195, Eastern Michigan. Terrell Everett, 6-7, 210, Oklahoma. Adam Liberty, 6-2, 185, ORU.

66ERS WEEKEND

What: at Rio Grande Valley and at Austin.

When: 7 p.m. Friday and 7:30 p.m. Saturday

Where: Dodge Arena and Austin Convention Center

Broadcast: KAKC am1300

• 2 weeks later...

If Moses keeps shooting like that (7 of 10 from three point line) - he will get a 10 day contract from OKC. And they need shooting help.

All three of our guys are getting quality minutes.  Interestingly (but not surprising), Yemi is getting more minutes than anyone on the team.  He even hit an NBA three-pointer!!

If Moses keeps shooting like that (7 of 10 from three point line) - he will get a 10 day contract from OKC. And they need shooting help.

Can he get a contract from any team or is it just from the Thunder? If so the 66ers are not a true "farm" team - right?

I think OKC can call him up.... not sure if it is an exclusive situation or not. I think it is.

I think OKC can call him up.... not sure if it is an exclusive situation or not. I think it is.

That's what I thought, but someone told me otherwise...