The death of a radio station

ORUIsbig

I am officially ashamed. As if "The Fizzle" could get any worse, they put thier new morning show on. It is not about sports at all. its about girls and vulger language. I thought having ORU on the buzz would be good for us, but now i am ashamed. to sum up the line up on 1430, "The Fizzle".

6-10 am - Sexually exploiting women

10-11 am - Sports and black and white relations

11-2 - Sports and sarcasm (at least they make fun of devient behavior)

2-6 - mindless rants about racing, beer, high school and coweta, peppered with TU homerism (by the station who covers OSU and ORU)

6-9 - More Sports and black and white relations

9-12- Good Sports and reaction (imo)

Can we please go back to 970. At least you can listen to it without constantly hearing comercials about Nighttrips and Sexual performance enhancing drugs.

Note to Plank( i know you read this board) We don't call in and react to you because we all have jobs and your mindless dibble every day is not worth waiting through till you get to your 1 take a week on ORU sports. PS- Since your favorite topics are beer and girls you should call your friends at nighttrips for a job rather than ruining a radio station.

Man i wish 1550 came in better in tulsa.

If 1550 expanded their signal range in Tulsa 1430 would crumble (irregardless of Clear Channel funds).

Guest EagleBackr

Chris Plank is the Rasputin of local sports talk - you can't kill him! It never ceases to amaze me that every time they tweak the format or axe people over there, he survives. Until someone at corporate drives a figurative wooden stake through his heart, we're apparantly stuck with him and his little toadie, Poplin, 'cause he ain't good enough to move anywhere bigger. And now he has a morning show that befits his usual gutter style. It's not funny, not creative, not interesting - just crude and boring. I quit listening after 30 minutes - just like I usually do the afternoon show....

I can't take more than 5 minutes of that new morning show.

One other thing on Plank and 1430...

Many times in the past, I have been ULTRA critical of him and his show. At times, I have gone over the top.

After considering some things, I think a public apology is in order. It's one thing to disagree or be critical, but taking personal shots is not fair and not right. Plank is still very young, has a small child and family, and has been given a TON of responsibilities for someone of his age.

He HAS made an effort this year to come to more ORU games and actually 'do his homework; in regards to the Golden Eagles. Is here "there" yet? No. But, he has shown to me that he IS making an effort and that is worth recognition.

Anyway, after all my venom over the last few years, I need to balance things out and be fair to him. While we may not always like his style or content, he does care and is making an effort to improve. I, for one, will make a conscious effort to be more fair when discussing him and his show.

I commend you for your gesture of good will, voice. If Plank is making an effort to be a lil more knowledgable about the Golden Eagles then he deserves a little slack.

It's just frustrating sometime when they talk about college basketball and can know everything about other teams in conference usa and the big 12, but only spend 2 minutes on ORU and the Mid Con. How am i supposed to feel as an ORU fan in the city of Tulsa when our own flagship radio station has minimal knowledge, and seems to spend so little time on ORU and the mid-con. I'll tell you: it makes me feel as if these guys don't give a rat's behind about our team, and that they are only mentioning them because they are required to since we exist in the city. Now granted, i know ORU fans don't make up the large percentage of the market here in tulsa, but at least show me that when we are a topic of discussion that we are important enough to know our players beyond the two best guys on the team, and that there is an awareness of who else is in the conference race for the title.

I work pretty closely with a guy who graduated from TU and has been a season ticket holder there for over 10 years. As an ORU grad it's been great for both of us to share are passion for our teams with each other. We both are really big fans of college basketball, and really have grown to appreciate having two D-1 programs in the city. My co-worker is starting to know a lot about the Mid Con, and even pointed out to me the big matchups that were comng up this weekend and what they meant in the race for the conference title. I was baffled at how much he knew. He has even gone as far as planning to purchase tickets to the Mid Con Tourney in March. All of this has happened, and he is still no less of a fan of TU basketball. I celebrated with him over the recent two wins Tulsa has against conference opponents, and even went to see them play against Marshall. Why oh why can't we see the same type of mutual respect from our local radio media?!?!?!

Maybe it's coming like you said, Voice. While it would be great to see, I'm not going to hold my breath.