ORU Eli

ValpoRick

Did any of you that watched the Valpo/ORU game on TV see the battle between our mascot and yours? I have to admit they got into quite a physical battle in the middle of the court and I am sorry to report Eli scored a TKO. Wasn't even close. I think we have a girl in that outfit. Or at least we did at one time.

Unfortunately, Rick, they were on commercial break when that epic battle took place. rlh and his cohort talked about it when they came back on; a friend of mine that was at the game called me on his cell phone after afterward and in the course of talking he told me about it. Said it was the best part of the whole night!

Unfortunately, Rick, they were on commercial break when that epic battle took place. rlh and his cohort talked about it when they came back on; a friend of mine that was at the game called me on his cell phone after afterward and in the course of talking he told me about it. Said it was the best part of the whole night!

Yeah that was the only battle you guys won that night. :lol:

Yeah that was the only battle you guys won that night. :lol:

Yeah, ORUBlue82 didn't have much else good to report on after that game!

Eli's victory was the ORU highlight on the court that night.

To recap - Valpo ran an on-court promotion where the mascots suited up with oversized inflatable boxing gloves and attempted to make a free throw within 30 seconds at opposite ends of the court. Earlier in the game, two fans had tried it, and neither made the shot in the time allotted.

Shooting "granny style", Eli drains one about ten seconds in (to the groan of the crowd). With five seconds left, the PA announcer starts a countdown, but stops at 5,4,3,2,2,2,2... to give Valpo another chance as the Crusader misses again... and then Eli banks in a second shot, causing the announcer to concede defeat (pretty amazing for a guy in an Eagle suit and huge plastic hands!).

Eli does a victory dance to mid-court, and meets the Crusader there, where they throw a few fake punches at each other. Suddenly, the Crusader dives for the take-down on Eli, and starts to knock him to the ground.... but Eli twists free - grabs the Crusader and gets a clean pin. The silence in the ARC was deafening, except for the Cheerleaders and ten ORU faithful who had been waiting all too long for a reason to cheer.

Unfortunately, it was the only ORU highlight on the court that night!

However, one other Valpo promotion is worthy of mention. During a timeout, a fan went out on the court, and hit a long shot. He goes crazy - and the crowd goes wild.... Mr. Conley Phipps, Sr., sitting next to me asked me "Did I hear right - did he just win a trip to Las Vegas?" I had to tell him that no - the guy had just won a free CAR WASH!

Eli does a victory dance to mid-court, and meets the Crusader there, where they throw a few fake punches at each other. Suddenly, the Crusader dives for the take-down on Eli, and starts to knock him to the ground.... but Eli twists free - grabs the Crusader and gets a clean pin. The silence in the ARC was deafening, except for the Cheerleaders and ten ORU faithful who had been waiting all too long for a reason to cheer.

Me thinks thou dost exaggerate the crowd reaction just a mite. I was there, and the crowd was laughing, myself included.

Fight after Eli danced at midcourt? He didn't stomp the logo or anything did he? lol

For any of you who know him, Eli at the game at Valpo was a substitute Eli. Eli was actually Jason Nussbaum, a senior 2nd team all conference soccer player at ORU, and I might add, a 4 year Maniac. Nuss is actually one of the most overal athletic guys that I know, and it doen't surprise me at all to hear about him hitting a couple of free-throws in an Eli suit with boxing gloves on. In fact, ORU has banned Nuss from doing any time-out or half time games because he has won so many of the multiple times that he is now basically a pro.

Eli's victory was the ORU highlight on the court that night.

To recap - Valpo ran an on-court promotion where the mascots suited up with oversized inflatable boxing gloves and attempted to make a free throw within 30 seconds at opposite ends of the court. Earlier in the game, two fans had tried it, and neither made the shot in the time allotted.

Shooting "granny style", Eli drains one about ten seconds in (to the groan of the crowd). With five seconds left, the PA announcer starts a countdown, but stops at 5,4,3,2,2,2,2... to give Valpo another chance as the Crusader misses again... and then Eli banks in a second shot, causing the announcer to concede defeat (pretty amazing for a guy in an Eagle suit and huge plastic hands!).

Unfortunately, it was the only ORU highlight on the court that night!

However, one other Valpo promotion is worthy of mention. During a timeout, a fan went out on the court, and hit a long shot. He goes crazy - and the crowd goes wild.... Mr. Conley Phipps, Sr., sitting next to me asked me "Did I hear right - did he just win a trip to Las Vegas?" I had to tell him that no - the guy had just won a free CAR WASH!

It was very funny to watch those two go at it with their oversized boxing gloves. But then it turned into a mixed martial arts brawl (unplanned)and our guy didn't have a chance. I think I saw our AD run down the steps towards the folks who run the shows. I'm not sure if he was congratulating them or chewing them out or whether he just had to go to the bathroom in a hurry; but he zoomed by me right after the takedown by ELI. :o

Did any of you that watched the Valpo/ORU game on TV see the battle between our mascot and yours? I have to admit they got into quite a physical battle in the middle of the court and I am sorry to report Eli scored a TKO. Wasn't even close. I think we have a girl in that outfit. Or at least we did at one time.

The Crusader is no longer a girl - now a freshman guy. That new crusader suit won't fit anyone over 5'9"/160 lbs.

and yes, your Golden Eagle tanked him. But - it was hilarious, and in all honesty, a great highlight. I'm hoping to see a mascot rematch in the Championship game of the Mid-Con (knocking on my wooden desk

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to run out out and buy the crusader some wheaties.....and maybe some for Urule now that our Shawn Huff is out. yikes.

Not sure if it was put on or it got out of hand....it was hard to tell...I'm hoping it was all in good fun...but the Eli certainly pinned the Crusader....It seemed for a minute like it was getting out of hand, but then things calmed down...I think that's why the crowd got quiet for a second or so....didn't know what to think