ORU Women's Basketball Falls to Central Oklahoma In Exhibition Play

Bogus Smith

ORU Women's Basketball Falls to Central Oklahoma In Exhibition Play 

Courtesy: ORU Media Relations

Tulsa, Okla. - The Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell, 79-84, to Central Oklahoma here in the Mabee Center Saturday afternoon in exhibition action.

The Golden Eagles were led by junior forward Janae Voelker's (Newton, Kan.) double-double, as she record 17 points and 14 rebounds, while freshman guard Georgia Jones (Manchester, England) added 21 points and senior forward Monah Pegorari (Sao Paulo, Brazil) snagged 10 rebounds.

UCO was led by Lizzie Brenner's double-double effort, as she tallied 20 points and 10 rebounds while both Ashley Beckley and Mallory Markus tacked on 12 points apiece.

ORU shot 42.6 percent (29-68) from the field compared to UCO's 39.7 percent (25-63) but the Bronchos shot 80.6 percent (25-31) from the free throw line, while ORU only shot 60.9 percent (14-23).

The Golden Eagles started off on a 4-0 run in the first half and led 13-5 at 15:12 as Voelker scored four points in the first five minutes. UCO took a 16-2 run and took its first lead of the game at 21-15 with 9:16 left to play in the first half. The Golden Eagles took their lead of the game at 29-28 with 3:48 remaining while the Bronchos took a one point lead at 40-39 at the end of the first half.

UCO came out in the second half on fire scoring 15 points in the first four minutes. The Bronchos took a 10 point lead, 58-48, with 14:46 to play, while the Golden Eagles would come back to tie it up at 64-all with 9:03 remaining. The game would be tied again at 68-all and ORU took three more one point leads, its last at 73-72 with 4:40 to go. A three-pointer by UCO's Traci Murphree would give the Bronchos the lead for good with 4:40 left to play.

The Golden Eagles begin regular season action next weekend at Marquette on Nov. 15 at 2 p.m.

So - is this a "we need to jell as a team", a "UCO is really really good", or a "uh oh - this could be a long season" moment???

UCO is ranked #18 in the D-II pre-season poll.  They were expected to be a tough exhibition opponent, but I think that it also shows that we need to develop some chemistry.

UCO is ranked #18 in the D-II pre-season poll.  They were expected to be a tough exhibition opponent, but I think that it also shows that we need to develop some chemistry.

I didn't make it to the women's game, but that is what I heard from someone that was there - the women's team needs some chemistry.

I didn't make it to the women's game, but that is what I heard from someone that was there - the women's team needs some chemistry.

Losing both Hardin and Watman was a HUGE blow to this season's prospects - and it may take time to mold this team together.  On the positive side, I've heard a rumor that this week's signees could be Jerry's best ever.

Losing both Hardin and Watman was a HUGE blow to this season's prospects - and it may take time to mold this team together.  On the positive side, I've heard a rumor that this week's signees could be Jerry's best ever.

Although I don't think I have ever heard Jerry not sing the praises of his signees each and every year, I do agree that it sounds like these five could have the best potential coming in.

What division does the ORU women play in?  How are they doing and what place are they in the standings?  Chineze  :mrgreen:

Not sure if your post is serious or not, but in case it is, ORU women are a Division I team.  So far they have only played one game in exhibition, which they lost.  They lost most of their starters form last year's NCAA Tournament team, and are working to develop chemistry on a young team. 

As far as official standings, they're undefeated on the season :wink:!