Re: Another ORU grad running for the senate

MrsSmith

I just realized tonight that Joel Dykstra was running for Senate in South Dakota.  If you were at ORU in the late 70's or early 80's you might remember him.

Unfortunately he has lost - he was running against Tim Johnson, the guy that had a stroke.

Here's his website if you are interested:

http://www.joeldykstraforsenate.com/about_bio.html

I just realized tonight that Joel Dykstra was running for Senate in South Dakota.  If you were at ORU in the late 70's or early 80's you might remember him.

Unfortunately he has lost - he was running against Tim Johnson, the guy that had a stroke.

Here's his website if you are interested:

http://www.joeldykstraforsenate.com/about_bio.html

At least he acknowledges his connection with ORU on his web site - on the FRONT PAGE.  This is something that Michele Bachmann fails to do - in fact, she names each of the colleges she went to EXCEPT ORU.  She reports that she graduated from the "Coburn School of Law".  I find this rejection of her law school alma mater disappointing.  BTW, it looks like Bachmann is going to retain her seat in the house, after looking for a while like her re-election was in jeopardy.

At least he acknowledges his connection with ORU on his web site - on the FRONT PAGE.  This is something that Michele Bachmann fails to do - in fact, she names each of the colleges she went to, except ORU.  She reports that she graduated from the "Coburn School of Law".  I find this rejection of her law school alma mater disappointing.  BTW, it looks like Bachmann is going to retain her seat in the house, after looking for a while like her re-election was in jeopardy.

Yea, I agree with you about Bachman.

A lot of ORU grads do this who make it to the big-time.

They are embarassed but I would say "gutless"

Says more about that person than about ORU.

I always tell everyone I went to ORU and look them right in the eye.

No one has a problem with honesty.

I understand the law school issue though.  Her peers probably have unrealistic expectations of people, and it probably doesn't carry much weight when you say the law school you attended doesn't exist anymore.  ORU put her in a strange situation.  I hope there are long term goals to bring back law and dental to ORU.

I hope there are long term goals to bring back law and dental to ORU.

Me too...though I can see that being very long term...

I understand the law school issue though.  Her peers probably have unrealistic expectations of people, and it probably doesn't carry much weight when you say the law school you attended doesn't exist anymore.  ORU put her in a strange situation.  I hope there are long term goals to bring back law and dental to ORU.

I agree, Mike - and even though I am "disappointed" in her choice (to not mention ORU), I'm not going to "throw her under the bus" on the issue.  The law school no longer exists - and the state where she serves nearly voted Al Franken to the Senate, so I'm sure she faces daily battles due to her faith.

As for Joel, he was a fun guy in his days on campus.  He was in Student Senate representing Grad Housing when I was working in the Student Activities area as a Concerts Chairman.  He worked for years as a Landman with an international oil & gas company before moving overseas (when I lost track of him). 

He was always interested in the political process though.  I understand why he would run for public office.  I hope that he does show up at the Summit League tournament and root on his alma mater.