Obama Slip Up

Mike Minyard

Seriously? I am ashamed that this made the board.

It's not a slip up, he meant to say what he was saying.

He was talking about Senator McCain not mentioning he supposed muslim faith. Listen to the context of what is being said here.

Like I always say, I never mind that someone doesn't agree or like someone in a campaign based on political orientation, but to make something out of nothing in an attempt to demonize a person is completely uncalled for. (Mike I'm not saying that's what you were trying to do)

If you're a republican there is more than enough information to disagree with Senator Obama about without making a deal out of nothing or talking about a well known saying regarding lipstick and pigs.

Dreams of My Father by Barack Obama...select quotes...

"I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites." (his mother is white)

"I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race."

"There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white."

"It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names."

I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself , the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela."

From his book, Audacity of Hope...

"I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

I think what he mentioned in this clip was more of a freudian slip. I think he is in his estimation a Christian (and I'm not God, so I'm not judging his salvation rather just some of his fruits) but when you consider his past muslim ties, his ties to Jeremiah Wright, and racial statements above I have to take the view that where there is smoke there is fire.

And the funny thing is, he's the superstar uniter and bringer of hope when I think if we could do a primetime TV deep dive into his past with him on on a lie detector, he has more divisive statements and background than any Republican candidate or president in years. It blows my mind how many people, especially evangelical Chrisitians buy his line of bull...

Dreams of My Father by Barack Obama...select quotes...

"I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites." (his mother is white)

"I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race."

"There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white."

"It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names."

I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself , the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela."

"I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

I think what he mentioned in this clip was more of a freudian slip. I think he is in his estimation a Christian (and I'm not God, so I'm not judging his salvation rather just some of his fruits) but when you consider his past muslim ties, his ties to Jeremiah Wright, and racial statements above I have to take the view that where there is smoke there is fire.

And the funny thing is, he's the superstar uniter and bringer of hope when I think if we could do a primetime TV deep dive into his past with him on on a lie detector, he has more divisive statements and background than any Republican candidate or president in years. It blows my mind how many people, especially evangelical Chrisitians buy his line of bull...

Until you've walked a mile in his black shoes....

Your allegation that these 1 liners paint a negative picture of his character is just like the people who try to understand the bible through one piece of scripture. When you understand the motivation, audience, and purpose behind why someone writes something it gives you a much more accurate picture of the true meaning.

Listen - why is it so bad to disagree with Senator Obama based on the facts? A freudian slip? Trust me, you're much more qualified to judge the man's policy than to attempt a psychological assessment.

Sometimes the answer cannot be found within the bounds of a mathematical equation. I'm certainly not telling you to vote for the man but I am asking that you should be careful about the things you decide regarding a person's character. Yes you most certainly are entitled to your own opinion but so am I, so here is mine.

Don't surrender your mind to a fear, don't be so mentally modest to stand for something more than a failed ideology.

This is will be my last post regarding this topic, as I am not trying to win an argument but simply bring a different perspective.

Eh, I see where you are coming from, Senior, from but I disagree with your reasoning. And I appreciate your perspective, I really do - so don't take the following comments as me slamming or talking down to you b/c I'm not.

I just think if a white guy grew up in a highly segregated area of the deep south and wrote a book about how early in life he didn't trust blacks/other races or he refused to emulate anyone that wasn't white he would be so publicly persecuted that he'd never have a chance to run for president. Or if he had a white hick pastor and a white hick congregation that talked about the evils of the government and how certain policies were reverse-racism towards whites, he would have no chance for major public office.

I think Obama is a wonderful communicator, I think his intentions are pure, and I think he really does want to make a positive difference. But no matter his race, I'm not going to give him a pass for divisive racial remarks. And as a Christian who believes in a unified Jewish state, I don't want anybody in office who has ever said or inferred his allegiance lies with Muslims. To top it all off he has the most liberal voting record in the senate.

My pastor made the statement, "You know...I can not and will not make any specific statements of support for either candidate but my only comment is...is this the best 2 people the nation has to offer???" I agree. I'm not saying McCain is the nation's savior, but the amount of hysteric fantatical voters, including many young evangelicals, that flock to Obama just because he's eloquent and far removed from anything having to do with Bush really scares me about the level of true education among voters. There are some true liberals in the country, but I think so many young voters would not be so crazy about Obama if they really understood the issues and the voting record of the two candidates.

how many people, especially evangelical Chrisitians buy his line of bull...

My friend, if the church beliefs/statements of Jeremiah Wright (and they're are TONS of churches that are practically identical), coupled with with WHACKOS of the "Blab it & Grab It" gospel, coupled with the "traditional" churches that have become soooooo liberal in their actions & theoloy, that they are little more than social clubs, coupled with the mega churches whose main goal is to entertain and 'tickle ears'......why would it surprise you that so many "evangelical Christians" buy his line???

The Christian church (especially in our society) is all but dead. Sorry to say.

Voice - you are so correct. The American church has become adept at 'playing' Christian. We should be aware (and concerned) that scripture says judgement begins in the house of God.

My friend, if the church beliefs/statements of Jeremiah Wright (and they're are TONS of churches that are practically identical), coupled with with WHACKOS of the "Blab it & Grab It" gospel, coupled with the "traditional" churches that have become soooooo liberal in their actions & theoloy, that they are little more than social clubs, coupled with the mega churches whose main goal is to entertain and 'tickle ears'......why would it surprise you that so many "evangelical Christians" buy his line???

The Christian church (especially in our society) is all but dead. Sorry to say.

Eh, I can't disagree with you there. It's sad, yet as Terry points out, perhaps just fulfillment of prophecy.

I am not voting for Obama and most likely going 3rd party but please people, don't make the Christian community look so stupid. Are you guys aware that many of the quotes passed around in the church email circles are not only out of context but downright LIES? I have actually read his books. The "stand with the Muslim" quote is not in any edition of any book he has written. That is a lie and a fabrication, the paragraph that I think it probably stems from is defending the rights of innocent Arabs who may face unfair prosecution/discrimination in a post 9/11 world.

I am generally not a one issue voter but with some spots likely to open up on the Supreme court I can't possible vote for someone who won't even take a stance on partial birth abortion. Listen to ORUsenior, there are many things to take ISSUE with that are actual ISSUES. Stop with the Muslim and black, etc. crap, it makes you look really stupid, like an uniformed sheep.

ash  =o)

First time I've been called an uninformed sheep this week... :-D

I take issue with many things...if I've been misinformed concerning those quotes, well then shame on me for not doing better research to ensure that is true, but my disdain for him is much deeper rooted in his voting record and goals concerning the war, taxes, abortion, gay marriage, social progams/government involvement, etc etc. I'm up to speed on where he's at there. It's just the cherry on top that he's been involved with a church that has made pro-black (I don't think we should be pro-any race, we should pro-one united nation), anti-american statements.

As opposed to the informed sheep, who, though meek and mild, are at least aware of the issues.  :wink:

I take issue with many things...if I've been misinformed concerning those quotes, well then shame on me for not doing better research to ensure that is true, but my disdain for him is much deeper rooted in his voting record and goals concerning the war, taxes, abortion, gay marriage, social progams/government involvement, etc etc. I'm up to speed on where he's at there. It's just the cherry on top that he's been involved with a church that has made pro-black (I don't think we should be pro-any race, we should pro-one united nation), anti-american statements.

Fair enough but I would leave his church out of it as well. How many of us have been to churches with leadership that has been involved with scandal? Divorce, affairs, money laundering, fraud, incest, rape, statutory rape, etc. Every one of those issues has gone down in a local Tulsa church in the last decade and all those churches still have large attendance.

I highly recommend the new Michael Gungor song "God Is Not a White Man" for everyone in the church.

ash  =o)

• 4 weeks later...

Things like this are why I can't support him...Perhaps it's all sensationalized...perhaps the truth is stretched...but there is smoke and smoke and smoke and smoke...and more smoke...there has to be a fire somewhere. Things like this make my skin crawl...